Monday, December 8, 2008

When the cat's away - Part 2

In my post on 5 December 2008, I blogged about my youngest brother's signature dishes. I stand corrected. He has more signature dishes!

My mother is currently away in Muar, Malaysia for a week's vacation to visit relatives. Enjoy your mahjong and durian eating sessions in Muar, Ma!

When I called LG (my youngest brother) regarding dinner, we were toying with the idea of:-

(a) going to Orchard Grand Court hotel for teochew porridge dinner; or

(b) eating at home (ie. LG would cook a simple dinner) (sigh... since when has dinner been simple when our Chef is displaying his culinary skills?).

LG decided to cook. However, as it was already past 7 pm, Da and I bought a box of Don's chicken pie to supplement the dinner so that LG need not cook so many dishes.

We requested that pie be cut into 8 slices. The staff at Don's would recommend that the pie be cut into 6 slices so that each slice would have a slice of hard boiled egg. However, I find that if the pie is cut into 6 slices, each slice is too large.

When Da and I arrived at my mother's home, my other brother (LB) had already arrived. His wife (MF) was not present as she was at a dinner function. The Chef and his girlfriend (SR) were busy in the kitchen. I took a peek at the oven - my brother's signature marinated chicken wings were baking in the oven.

I could not resist taking some photographs while the Chef was displaying his culinary skills.

Any guesses as to what he is cooking?

The chef had, of course, fried his signature chai por (picked radish) omelette.

Da counted the number of chicken wings when SR took them out of the oven - yes, one chicken wing per person.

This is another of the Chef's signature dish that I did not mention in my blog of 5 December 2008 - curry vegetables. In case you are wondering, he used fish curry powder. I suggested to him to add some freshly squeezed lemon juice the next time that he cooked curry vegetables - it would give the dish a lovely tangy flavour.

Here is another of the Chef's signature dish that I missed out in my blog of 5 December 2008 - fried rice. This time, instead of adding chai por (pickled radish) to the fried rice, he added dried shrimp.

After that sumptuous dinner, we agreed unanimously that a pot of Chinese tea should be brewed.

It is believed that drinking Chinese tea aids in digestion and also helps to flush away the oil in the food that we have consumed.

Another appetising dinner, bro! Well done!


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin