Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Makan escapade - Day 1 (31 December 2008)

Ah! New Year's Eve! The management of my company had declared 1/2 day off for us. As such, our work day on 31 December 2008 would be from 9 am to 1 pm.

I was very excited at work because my mother and I will be going to Muar, Malaysia after work. It is my maternal grandmother's 1st death anniversary. For those of you who recall the demise of my grandmother in 2008, if you were to follow the English calendar, her 1st death anniversary would be in early February 2009. However, as my relatives had followed the Lunar calendar, the 1st death anniversary falls on 1 January 2009.

Unfortunately, I was tied up at work and I was unable to leave the office till past 2 pm. The good news was that Da's company also declared 1/2 day off and as such, he and I were able to go home together.

I had already packed my luggage the night before. As such, when we reached home, it was a simple case of grabbing my luggage before leaving the house again to fetch my mother. My brother's girlfriend (ZT) was free as well, so the four of us went to Katong Shopping Centre for a late lunch.

After lunch, we went to my mother's home for her to pick up her luggage. As usual, our darling boy-boy made a fuss and wanted to be carried by ZT for his photograph to be taken.

Shortly after 4 pm, my mother and I started our journey to Malaysia. As I had been having a headache since the day before, my mother agreed to display her driving skills by driving my car. Of course, along the journey, when I started taking photographs using my digital camera, my headache magically went away. Ah! Now I know the cure for a headache. It is not panadol but a photography session using my digital camera! *grin*

We arrived at the Tuas Customs Checkpoint in Singapore and were happy to discover that there was no jam at the checkpoint. As it was New Year's Eve, we were apprehensive that there may be a long queue of cars waiting to exit Singapore and enter Malaysia.

As my mother was not familiar with my car, it was quite humorous as she fumbled with the foot brake, the lever to open the boot, etc at the checkpoint. I had to lean over and help her shift the automatic gear into "Park" and pull the lever to open the boot for her, while she exited the car. We could not help laughing at ourselves at the sight we must have presented.

The Malaysian Customs Checkpoint was equally smooth. Praise the Lord for such a wonderful day! The weather was also very fine!

My mother is "law-by-law" (that is, very law abiding) and faithfully kept with the speed limit when driving. We saw motorcycles and smaller cars overtaking us along the way.

After we cleared the Malaysian customs, we reached the toll house where my mother used the "Touch and Go" card to pay the toll charges.

My Aunt N had arranged to accompany us along the journey to Muar. As such, we drove to the town of Taman Perling to meet Aunt N.

While waiting for Aunt N, we decided to browse in a shop called "Mr Sotong", which sells Malaysian snacks. As we were at the shop, I felt a poke to my side. Turning my head, I saw that it was Aunt N. Yippee! Let's go!

Wait a minute... no self-respecting Singaporean and Malaysian would start on a long car journey without some caffeine. As such, we proceeded to the Queen Park coffeeshop.

My mother and Aunt N ordered a glass of black coffee each while I ordered a coffee with minimal evaporated milk and sugar (known as "kopi-si-siu-dai").

After our caffeine shot, we followed Aunt N to her home where she parked her car at her porch.

While waiting for Aunt N to pick up her luggage, my mother and I relaxed in her living room.

My wonderful Aunt N agreed to drive my car to Muar. Thank you! You're the best! Mwah! Mwah!

When we arrived in Muar, it was close to 10 pm. My Uncle J and Aunt J had already arrived from Kuala Lumpur. As we had some more relatives arriving in Muar from Ipoh and Petaling Jaya, everyone decided to await the arrival of the remaining relatives. My dear Tuayi's birthday falls on 31 December 2008 (Happy Birthday, Tuayi!) and the rest of us wanted to wait for the birthday girl to have dinner together. (Hi, cousins, I do not know if you can recall this, but Tuayi's / Tua Kor's first name starts with the letter "R". Does this ring a bell? *grin*)

Shortly after, the rest of the "outstation" relatives arrived. We proceeded to the coffeeshop near my grandmother's home and enjoyed a late dinner with plenty of bonding and catching up.

The fried carrot cake at this coffeeshop is very tasty.

We will be going to the temple on 1 January 2009 for my grandmother's 1st death anniversary prayers. As such, Tuayi decided to arrange the basket of fruits (to bring to the temple) before going to bed so that we need not rush the next day.

It was good to meet up with my relatives and to catch up.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

darn...miss all the goodies from muar!!! n what's Mr Sotong?! Sounds like a place Aunty Janet would go to! lol

Blog Widget by LinkWithin