Thursday, December 11, 2008

The anticipation

It is that time of the year again, when everyone (except the little ones) digs deep into their piggy banks and hears the sound of the cash register going "ka-ching" everywhere.

Yes, Christmas is just around the corner. In fact, it is in 2 weeks' time (25 December 2008).

Although many Christmas carols contain lyrics to the effect that Christmas Day is the birth date of our Lord Jesus Christ, the actual date of birth of Jesus may not have been on 25 December. I am therefore not sure why 25 December is chosen as the date to celebrate Jesus' birth.

Be that as it may, Christmas has traditionally been celebrated during the holiday season. In Singapore, this coincides during the year-end school holidays as well.

Although we do not have four seasons in a year in Singapore and we are a multi-racial country, Christmas is celebrated by most people in Singapore, including non-Christians.

From November 2008, the shopping malls have been decorated in festive cheer. There has been, for some years now, a competition amongst the shopping malls for the best-decorated shopping mall. As such, each year, each shopping mall tries to outdo the others. This year, due to the economic downturn, the Christmas decorations in the shopping malls have been toned down but are festive nonetheless.

From the time I was young, I have always felt a sense of excitement and anticipation as Christmas draws near. The fact that Christmas carols are being played on radio and at shopping malls certainly helps to add to the festive cheer.



It is also a tradition in Singapore for Christmas presents to be exchanged amongst family, relatives, friends and colleagues. This year, I started on my Christmas shopping early and I am almost done with the shopping. I have even posted to my penpals their respective Christmas presents.

As a matter of fact, I have started receiving Christmas presents! I recently received a package from HKH, my penpal from Norway. Thank you very much, girl, for the present. I am eagerly waiting for Christmas morning so that I can open the present! I have, however, read your letter that accompanied the present - yes, it would be great if you could post some home-made chocolate truffles to me.... *grin*. Do say "hi" to your folks for me and help me give a big hug to Siri.

Hi everyone, how do you usually celebrate Christmas? Have you started on your Christmas shopping yet? I look forward to hearing from you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You only open Xmas present on Christmas day ? We opon on Christmas Eve after our X'mas dinner!!! Haaaa...

There'll be another present on X'mas day where Santa will put in our Socks ;) That we open on X'mas day. Hhaaa.....

Verytiki

Blog Widget by LinkWithin