Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Let go and let God

LSD is right.... we have to put in more effort to lose weight and to be more healthy. I get up each morning feeling bloated (ie. the effects of water retention due to drinking too much water at night. I cannot help it! It is so hot and humid in our country.) and as the day goes by, I think about eating more healthily and drinking more healthily (ie. less coffee, less tea and less "yin yang"). By the time the end of the day comes, I feel guilty about what I had for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.

The next day, the vicious cycle takes place again.

As the saying goes, "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper". It is easier said than done. There is so much to eat over here! Frankly speaking, our local food is mostly not of very good standard (as compared to other countries like Malaysia, whose local fare is anytime better than over here) but hey, "beggars cannot be choosers".

I am not too fussed about what I eat, for so long as there is preferably minimal/no chilli, oil and pork (erm.... unless it is "char siew", sweet and sour pork ribs or bak kwa). What does this leave me with? Hans, Hans, Hans! I love sandwiches! I like Qi Ji's food too (eg. nasi lemak, popiah, soon kueh, etc), but there is no Qi Ji outlet near my office (LSD - when are you opening the franchise outlet?).

Lately, LSD and I have been discussing detox. You may have read in the newspapers about this beauty salon or that beauty salon having some detox programme for their customers who sign up for a slimming package. However, it seems that LSD's Mama has a natural formula for detox. I cannot wait to try it out!

The problem, I think, is that I am so busy at work that when night time comes, as much as my mind tells me to have a light dinner, when hunger pangs hit me, all my good intentions seem to fly out of the window. Many a time have I cajoled Da to divert somewhere for "a quick bite of dinner", only to regret it after that (because the food is invariably too oily, of poor standard, etc) and I will end up telling Da, "er.... I think we shall go straight home tomorrow night and eat fruits for dinner, ok?". He will give me a "here we go again" look and say patiently, "That's what you said yesterday and today, we ended up eating out on our way home again.". heehee..... lack of willpower, sigh. And yet people of my zodiac sign are supposed to be very determined and succeed at whatever they do. I have, unfortunately, not succeeded in looking slim like a model yet!

I have been asked how I managed to lose so much weight over the past 10-plus years. I cheekily tell the person to join my company - we are paid to lose weight! Seriously speaking, I think that when you are busy at work, you tend not to think about snacking and as such, you stick to your 3 meals and you burn up calories rushing work during the day.

I have discovered something over the years. The more I try to lose weight and the more conscious I am about my weight, the harder it is for me to slim down. When I "let go and let God", the slimming takes place on its own without any effort on my part. I have heard similar testimonies from other people about how things just fall into place (not necessarily regarding weight loss issues) when they let the Lord take over. You see, my friend, our Father is a very gracious person. If you want to get something done using your own effort, He will not force His will on you.

So let us learn to let the Lord guide and lead us. When things go wrong, talk to our loving Father and let go. He is ever willing to carry us on His shoulders and lead us into eternal victory.



By the way, on an unrelated note, Ah Boy, I just wanted to let you know that you are doing great work and keep it up. You have shown initiative and you use your thought process at work. Life is not a bed of roses and there will always be ups and downs. Please keep your faith and continue with your hard work.

1 comment:

wesirelander said...

Wow! you mentioned me so many times in the post. So honoured!

Well! At least I am not guilty on the coffee part and the oily food part. haha... Hey! Popiah, nasi lemak are all unhealthy food, ok? Especially nasi lemak, containing coconut milk as 1 of the main ingredients in the rice?

Regarding the franchise, well..waiting for my silent equity partner....*giving u the knowing look*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin