Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mothers

I was chatting with LSD on msn last night when she asked me to check something in my gmail inbox. I logged onto gmail. Lo and behold, I was prompted that my Mama is online! I started to chat with her using gmail chat as well.

The interesting thing is that my Mama knows LSD as well because LSD's Papa is an excellent chef and has fed us delicious food from time to time (eg. popiah). I told LSD that my Mama was on gmail chat. I told my Mama that LSD was on msn.

Do you know what happened? I ended up being the post-box between LSD and Mama! Whatever message LSD wanted to pass to my Mama that LSD mentioned on msn, I repeated it to my Mama on gmail chat. And vice versa.

I told my Mama that LSD's Papa is looking for the Three Elephant brand of soya sauce that is sold in Muar, either in glass bottles or plastic bottles. My Mama replied to tell LSD to tell her Papa that his popiah tastes nice on its own. LSD cleverly replied that it would taste nicer with this brand of soya sauce. My Mama fell for the trick - hook, line and sinker! She pondered over LSD's request, then told me that she has not heard of this brand but will check with her 2nd sister (my aunt) who lives in Muar! heehee.... I shall keep my Mama in suspense until she and my aunt realise that they have been taken for a ride! haha!

Goodness me! The power of the internet.

After awhile, I suggested to my Mama to sign up for msn. She gave all sorts of excuses about how she is not good at using technology, etc. I knew where this was all leading. My dear mother wants us to set up the msn for her. heehee....

After quite a bit of chatting and ribbing, my Mama started hinting that she wanted to go to sleep. She sent me a message, "Why are you still awake at this hour?". Oho! Blatant hints! I made the mistake of telling her that the night was still young (which is okay) and that in any event, my hair was still wet (oh... big mistake! Never let your mother know that you washed your hair so late at night without blow drying it!). She started her, "Didn't grandma tell you not to wash your hair so late?" routine. Sigh, my dear mother... :)

My Mama is loads of fun. She is a wonderful person with a great sense of humour. She is a good travelling companion as she is very sporting and willing to try new things / food. When I went on a Bangkok trip in May 2008 with my Mama, my grandaunt and my brother's girlfriend, we all had Iced Coffee everyday while in Bangkok! It was the first time that I was travelling with my grandaunt (who is in her 70s) and I discovered to my pleasant surprise that she is very fun to hang out with! We started talking about going on future trips together. My dear grandaunt is now hooked on going to Korea. She kept asking when the Korea trip will be!

Sometimes we clash with our parents when we perceive that they are holding on too tightly to us. By and large, we should learn to let go. They behave like this because they love us a lot and they only want the best for us. It is only when their possessiveness creates conflicts (eg. with our other half) that we should talk to our parents and explain the situation. We need to stand firm and always be the shield between our parents and our other half. Never let our other half be in the direct line of fire. This is wrong and creates unnecessary pain and conflict.

1 comment:

wesirelander said...

How could you?! Now your mama going to think I played the trick on her, when is actually you! There goes the positive impression that your mama has abt me,if any.

Actually is glass bottle then will taste better...come to think of it..the popiah doesnt require soya sauce.haha..sorta giveaway.

p/s: ur post has managed to kill 3 birds with 1 stone..

Blog Widget by LinkWithin