Monday, July 21, 2008

Of myths and legends

I read in the newspapers on Sunday (20 July 2008) about a spat between 2 famous local bloggers. 1 of the bloggers has apparently sent a lawyer's letter to another blogger, claiming defamation. In the article, a person who was interviewed remarked that we should blog more about issues / thoughts (quare: reflective blogs?) instead of persons.

Having placed some thought to the newspaper article, I have decided not to talk about specific persons in my post of today. I have updates on the fiasco that happened last week and mentioned in my posts of last week. However, in line with my decision to be more general in my post today, I shall refrain from mentioning anything specific.

I am suffering a bad bout of influenza. This started since the middle of May 2008 when I was caught in a heavy rain and ended up ill. I have realised that since then, I have not fully recovered and my nose has been perpetually blocked or running for the last 2 months. I have consulted general practitioners several times and finished all my medication dutifully, to no avail. Perhaps it is time to go to the root of the problem and resort to acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.

I woke up this morning feeling terribly under the weather. My whole body is aching due to the influenza. Had I been any saner, I should have called in sick and stayed home for today. However, as there were pressing matters to attend to in the office, I dragged myself out of bed and made my way to work.

During lunch time today, I decided to visit the clinic that is located in my office building after lunch. Goodness me! The clinic was extremely crowded and there was a long queue before me. After about 40 minutes of waiting, the doctor had only seen 3 patients. I decided to self-medicate again. I have a ready supply of Panadeine at work. Had I stayed on at the clinic and waited till my turn, it would probably have been time to go home by the time it came to my turn.

At the clinic, I could not help sneezing. This reminded me of the old wives' tale that if you sneeze, someone is thinking of you (probably the fella who admitted to someone on friday that he "sabo-ed" me on friday, plotting more rounds of "sabo". Oops.... enough of this. I did say that my post shall be general today. Besides, I have better things to concentrate on than worry about unimportant people. My time is better spent enjoying the love of Christ for me.).

Speaking of old wives' tales, there are many myths that have been told over the years. Have you heard of the belief that if your eye is twitching, someone is saying bad things about you or something is amiss?

What about the belief that if a butterfly flies into your home, you will get a visitor soon?

Other than such myths, there are also many superstitious beliefs. For example, it is inauspicious to sweep the home on the 1st day of Chinese New Year. Or, a pregnant woman should not paint her home or sew on her bed.

Is there any truth to such beliefs / myths? Why did such beliefs / myths arise in the first place?

Whilst I do not believe in such beliefs / myths, I have always behaved in a cautious manner by adopting the mantra, "Better be safe than sorry".

I know of relatives and friends who have apparently suffered the side-effects of the myths. For example:-

(a) A guy that I know has a 6th finger on one hand. His mother was apparently mending the fence while she was pregnant and she glued back a part of the fence - hence, an extra finger grew.

(b) A girl that I know was born with her tongue stuck to the lower part of her mouth. Her mother had hit a nail into an item at home when she was pregnant. When the girl was born, the relatives puzzled over what happened. Finally, a relative remembered and advised the girl's mother to remove the nail. When she did so, the girl's tongue was loosened suddenly. Today, she can speak but her speech is not very clear.

(c) A guy that I know was born with ears that seem plastered to his face. His mother had apparently played darts while she was pregnant. The family quickly removed the dart board that was hung on the wall and the guy's ears thereafter became loosened and are now normal.

What are your thoughts? Is there any truth to such myths/beliefs? Is it better to be safe than sorry?

By the way, Ah Boy, I am very sorry that you had to come to work today even though you are still having the influenza. I will not be truthful if I did not say that I am very thankful that you came to work. My appreciation to you for rushing the photocopying of the urgent documents and forwarding them to clients today. If you need Panadeine (for influenza/fever), I would be happy to pass you some! Take care and get well soon.

1 comment:

wesirelander said...

Hope now you can receive.

Will let you know if the myths are true and if there are more interesting ones, when I get pregnant, ok? haha..

Pls don't take too much of those Panadeine. Not good for your kidneys, lah! Rest well, sleep early, don't always stay up late at night. Dunno why u need to stay up leh, you are not me, need to network online. haha

Oops! Need to cut down on the nos. of "lahs" and "lors"

Blog Widget by LinkWithin