Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Laughter is the best medicine

Ho, ho, ho! As they say, laughter is the best medicine. No matter what trials and tribulations we have to go through, we have to remember to "let live and let go" and see the lighter side of things.

It was raining cats and dogs when I got up this morning. I peered at the dark sky and tried to do my usual "5 more minutes" routine with Da. I was not so fortunate this time. He saw through my attempt at trickery. Reluctantly, I crawled out of bed and staggered to the bathroom to get ready for work. As we left the house, the 3 kids in the unit opposite us were at the door. The 2 older boys were getting ready to go to kindergarten / nursery while the little one had one of those fever patches on his forehead (I guess he was under the weather) and his face was scrunched up, ready to burst into tears any minute. The 2 older boys greeted me when they saw me and they started chatting with me while I waited for Da to lock up the main door and grill. Ah... It is such a joy to chat with little kids. They have such a refreshing way of looking at things. We should be more like children - sometimes, things do not have to be so complicated.

We have been busy at work lately. In addition to the usual day to day work to be rushed, our staff have been busy doing warehousing as we shall be moving office soon. Goodness me! As we clear our cupboards and drawers, we discover a lot of things that we either did not realise we had or things that we thought were misplaced. I found a textbook that I referred to in 1995! After so many years, it is unlikely that I would refer to it again (since I did not even realise that I still have it), so into the disposal bin it goes....

LSD has given me feedback to the effect that my posts have been very convoluted recently as she needs to decipher the hidden meanings in my posts. My dear! I was a literature student. We thrive on interpreting things that we read! Ah... Shakespeare! Wherefore art thou?

As a follow-up to my post of yesterday, LSD and I met for lunch at Hans today. We had a lovely lunch eating... what else? LSD's favourite sandwich (fried egg and bacon with toasted wholemeal bread). I decided to join the club today and order the same sandwich as her. As always, there was a lot of ribbing and good natured teasing during the lunch.

I handed to LSD the 2 pink tubes that I helped her buy yesterday. We started cracking jokes about the tubes, her company's coming dinner & dance, etc and somehow I ended up mentioning the song "DO THAT TO ME ONE MORE TIME". Subsequently, LSD sent me a message to ask what brought about the mention of that song (as she could not remember). Come to think of it, I cannot remember either.

Goodness me! LSD has just sent me a sms to say that she has a feeling that both tubes may be too tight for her. No prizes for guessing where it will be tight. Now girl, breathe deeply and squeeze into the tube. It'll fit because it is stretchable!

We are all creatures of habit and we tend to want to do things our way. I am no different. Over the years, I have learned to be more flexible and I try to agree to things done in a different manner (ie. I am open to suggestions) if it does not prejudice the client, etc. However, every now and then, I fall into my old habits and while I do not openly stomp my foot and say, "I want it done MY WAY", you can almost hear Old Blue Eyes (ie. Frank Sinatra) singing his famous song in the background when the staff end up doing the work my way. heehee....

Ah Boy's Da Jie and Er Jie are going away tomorrow on a getaway to Bangkok and will only be back at work on 15 July 2008 (Tuesday). Have a lovely time, ladies! Don't forget to buy us lots of souvenirs and snacks! I am especially partial to the snacks that contain pork floss (hint! hint!).

When I met Da at the MRT station on our way home, he told me that he did not have lunch today because the new notebook arrived at his office today and he and his colleagues were busy setting up the notebook, etc. I suggested going to Ho Kee Pau near Aljunied MRT station for dinner. He agreed. As we alighted from the MRT train at Aljunied MRT station, I glanced around and asked whether the famous beef hor fun shop is nearby. He replied, "Within walking distance". We decided to change our dinner venue. Goodness me! His idea of "walking distance" is far-fetched! We were at Lorong 20+ Geylang whereas the famous beef hor fun shop is at Lorong 9 Geylang! However, in the end, I did not feel fatigue from the walk to the shop. Why? Read on.....

Along the way, we had to walk past many shops as well as music lounges. I saw many women of the night loitering outside the music lounges. They did not look young. Are they the infamous "study mamas"? I do not know. Seated at the dinner tables along the way were such women. Almost every table had at least 1 such woman seated there. Some tables had several of such women, sitting there, presumably waiting for "customers". As we walked past a music lounge, I overheard a man bargaining with a China woman, who said "Fifty dollars" in Mandarin. I was tempted to slow down my steps in order to listen to the bargaining process. A thought crossed my mind - did she quote $50 per hour? $50 per session? $50 per night? Is this the market rate for China women? I remarked to Da in English, "$50? Is that per hour?" He shook his head at me in disbelief that I could ask such a question and he continued walking.

It was certainly an eye opener. Usually, when we go to Geylang for dinner, we would park near the restaurant / coffee shop. This is the 1st time that we walked past so many roads en route to the shop selling beef hor fun. I was very amused.

By the way, if you eat beef, do check out the famous beef hor fun shop at Lorong 9 Geylang. The beef is very tender! We ordered 1 plate of beef hor fun (for 2 persons) and 1 plate of broccoli fried with dried mushrooms and carrots. At $10 per dish and an additional $1 for 2 wet towlettes, our dinner cost us $21, excluding the cost of 2 drinks (1 Chinese tea and 1 English tea). It was a very satisfying meal and worth walking all the way from Aljunied MRT station. Incidentally, Kallang MRT station is nearer to Lorong 9 Geylang but if you come by that way, you would have missed out on all the action along the way. Bon appetit!

1 comment:

wesirelander said...

Try the "10 more minutes" routine then...thats what I tell my mama.

I was a history student, I disliked literature to the core. To me, not much of commercial sense for studying literature. haha

eeh.. did those old men stare at you when you walked past with your Da? Bet your Da was holding your hand really tight as you guys walk past that area.

I hope the info I provided you is useful and you have sorta got some understanding abt it. haha..if not.. can always ask me again *wink*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin