Saturday, July 18, 2009

More of the king

I was amused when I read this in the internet - "What is shaped like a hedgehog and tastes like compost?" The answer given is "durian".

The Asians have a love for durians but this fruit is not popular with non-Asians. The texture and rich aroma of durians are such that the king of fruits is suitable as an ingredient to bake /make cakes, bread, ice cream, muffins, etc.

As Da and I have two boxes of durians left in our refrigerator (each box costing S$2), I decided to use up the leftover durians today. More of this later in the post...

Breakfast was a simple meal of bak kwa (topped with some fried anchovies... I could not resist the temptation!) sandwiched between two slices of white bread that have been spread with butter (on one slice) and dijon mustard (on the other slice). Such a lovely combination of sweet and savoury.

Okay... back to the topic of durians. Other than the durian ice cream and durian bread that I made the other day, I have today added the following to my durian creations.

First up and as requested by Da... durian muffins.

Next up (and what I already had in mind yesterday to bake today)... durian butter cake.

The problem with me is that once I start baking/cooking, I cannot stop. I ended up baking tuna puffs as well.

No more bread in the house? No problem - bacon rolls to the rescue!

*giggle*... this is to tickle my dear friend, GP. Here you go, girl... anchovies cookies. I did not use the recipe that you gave me because when I read the recipe, I realised that it would yield chewy cookies. As my family and I prefer crunchy cookies, I have shelved your recipe for the moment. The anchovies cookies that you see below were created by me, using the fried anchovies that we bought from our favourite coffee shop at Jalan Tua Kong. I used a pestle and mortar to pound the anchovies before I added them to the cookie dough.

Before we left our home, I opened up a present that Da had bought for me. Gasp! It is an ice cream maker! Oh my goodness! This is so exciting! According to the manual that came with the ice cream maker, the ice cream maker can be used to make:-
(a) ice cream
(b) frozen yoghurt
(c) sorbet

My mind is swirling with ideas as to what type of ice cream, frozen yoghurt and sorbet to make. Be still, my beating heart! (Yes, in case you are wondering, gorgeous men (erm... other than Sean Connery or Pierce Brosnan, I guess) do not make my heart beat faster. It is the sight of kitchen "toys"....)

Da and I were supposed to have a picnic at the Marina Barrage with the family of the Three Musketeers today. The Marina Barrage is a reservoir in the heart of the city. However, ET is down with a touch of stomach flu and hence, the picnic has been postponed. Instead, Da and I went to the home of the family of the Three Musketeers for dinner. ET had fried yaki udon for dinner. There were so many ingredients added that we were eating the ingredients with noodles instead of eating the noodles with ingredients!

After dinner, everyone sat down and watched "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" which was shown on television. As the movie was rather long, there was a break in between when the news was being telecast. During the news broadcast, we also had our own break - a coffee break! Lin brought out the tray of bacon rolls that I had baked. Yummy, yummy...

By the way, for those of you who have been requesting for the recipes to the goodies that I have baked/made/cooked and posted photographs in this blog, do check out my recipe blog. I have to admit that I have been experimenting with new goodies faster than I can post the recipes to them. Not to worry... slowly but surely....

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin