Tuesday, July 14, 2009

food galore

(Boy-Boy watching his girl-girl having salon treatment at my mother's home)

For Singaporeans, we do not eat to live. We live to eat! Food, glorious food!

This morning, Da and I went to Marine Parade Central for breakfast. We had intended to eat our breakfast at the Marine Parade hawker centre. However, when we arrived, we realised that the hawker centre was closed for a week for springcleaning. That left Da and I with 3 choices:-

(a) the nearby coffee shop (which was very crowded);

(b) Hans Cafe and Cake House; or

(c) McDonalds.

In the end, McDonalds won the toss. We had not eaten the McDonalds breakfast for some time. Da ordered the Sausage McMuffin meal while I ordered the McGriddles meal. We enjoyed our breakfast very much and it was certainly a substantial portion.

At work today, I checked my electronic mail and was surprised to find an electronic mail from XQ, the daughter of the lady boss of the beauty salon that I go to for facials. She wrote (and I quote):-

"Thank you for your recipes. Your blog has been a great help in my baking experience, especially your cookie suggestions. I will definitely try them out. Your tips, such as fine sugar being an alternative for castor sugar, also helped me realized that I need not limit myself to recipes that have certain accessible ingredients only. It has been a pleasure reading your blog. Thank you."

Thank you, XQ for your lovely feedback. I am grateful that the Lord has chosen to bless me with the love of baking/cooking so that I can bless others with what the Lord has blessed my hands to make.

XQ, I want to encourage you as you gain experience in baking/cooking. Do not be afraid to experiment and do not be afraid of failure. Always remember that we learn from experience and we will only get better and better with time. Do feel free to leave comments in my blog about any of the recipes in my recipe blog that you have tried and do not be shy to ask questions.

After work, Da and I went to the Kallang Airport hawker centre. We were in the mood for Japanese cuisine and hence, Da ordered a chicken cutlet rice set while I ordered a bowl of ramen (hi LSD, I have finally developed the liking for ramen!) with salmon teriyaki. We also ordered a glass of fresh soursop drink from a stall that my family has been patronising since my brothers and I were children. The stallholder still recognises us and will refuse to sell us the entire soursop if he feels that the quality of that day's supply of the soursop is not up to his standard. He would rather not make the sale from us.

I have been in an ice-cream making mood lately. After the success of my banana raisin ice cream, I have decided to make other types of ice-cream. As such, Da and I bought some durians from a stall located outside NTUC Supermarket (which is a stone's throw away from Kallang Airport hawker centre). I am thinking of modifying my banana raisin ice cream recipe to make durian ice cream. After making small talk with the durian seller, we bought:-

(a) 6 boxes of durians for S$12 (that is, S$2 each) - to make the ice cream. The stallholder only had 6 boxes of the S$2 durian left, so I told him, "I'll take all of them" (sounds "shiok" to say that, isn't it?); and

(b) 5 boxes of durians for S$15 - to eat, of course... the stallholder was actually selling 3 boxes for S$10 but he persuaded us to buy another 2 boxes for $5, which meant that we bought 5 boxes for S$15. The stallholder initially suggested that we buy the more expensive durian (that he was selling at S$20 for 3 boxes). When I declined and told him that we were eating the durians "for fun", he grinned and replied that he was selling the durians "for fun" as well.

We brought the durians to my mother's home. My mother and ZT (the girlfriend of my brother, LG) were both at home. We opened the 5 boxes of durians. Goodness me... considering the price that we paid for the durians, I think that we had a very good deal. The durian flesh was tasty and thick. Delicious!

My mother let Boy-Boy eat some of the durian. He used to love durians when he was younger. As it has been a long time since he last ate durian, it seems that he no longer has the fondness for durians. Oh well... more for us, then...

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin