Friday, July 10, 2009

Just smile

I watched the repeat telecast of the memorial for the late Michael Jackson on television a few days ago. I could not help by tear as many people stepped forward and gave beautiful eulogies. I was very touched when Brooke Shields spoke about the King of Pop's favourite song, that is, "Smile". "Smile" was the theme music for Charlie Chaplin last silent picture "Modern Times" in the 1930s. I recall listening to Nat King Cole's recording of the song. It is such a beautiful song. Michael Jackson's brother (Jermaine Jackson) sang a beautiful rendition of "Smile" at the memorial.

When things bog us down, we often wonder why these things are happening to us. One thing, though, is very clear. Road-blocks are never put in our way by God. Any road-blocks (in the form of people or circumstances) are placed there by the evil one, to prevent us from getting close to the Lord. Many a time have I found myself in situations where something or someone makes it difficult for me to go to church on sundays. The devil knows that he cannot confront us directly. He works through people and circumstances.

An acquaintance told me today that we need to reflect. When we find ourselves chasing our tail and we do not get to do the things that we feel a desire to do (eg. we have a desire to serve in the choir in church but our work schedule is such that it would be very difficult to make it for every choir practice and/or we have to attend meetings on sundays), he feels that we should go ahead and carry out what we desire. As we go along, we may find that paths somehow smoothen and we are able to succeed in what the Lord has placed a desire in our hearts.

Lord, I cast all my cares unto You. I know that You loved me so much that You died for me at the Cross and You took upon yourself all my challenges. When I turn towards You, You will always carry me on Your shoulders. I know that many things are beyond my control and there are many more things that I would like to change. However, no matter what happens, I know that You will do all things for my good. I trust in You and I know that You will see me to victory.

By the way, if you are wondering why there are photographs of food in this post, well, I thought that I might as well "kill two birds with one stone" and do a bit more "pointing and shooting" with my digital camera. These photographs were taken today using my Panasonic Lumix.

I left the office late today and made a quick dash to the NTUC Supermarket to buy some groceries before it closed. When I left the supermarket, I found it difficult to hail a taxi home because I did not see any taxi pass by for some time. As it was almost 10 pm, I decided to adjourn to the nearby Marine Parade hawker centre for dinner. I walked up and down the aisles of stalls and I simply could not find anything that I wanted to eat. It just goes to show how exhausted I was - everything did not look appetising. Another clear sign that I was exhausted was when my order of yong tauhu was served with rice vermicelli (bee hoon) and thick yellow noodles. I never order thick yellow noodles because I do not like them and I only eat them when they are served as mee rebus. I looked at my order and I was dismayed. This is the second time that this has happened in the same week. The same thing happened to me the other day when I ordered yong tauhu from a stall at the Kallang Airport hawker centre. At that time, I thought that the stallholder mixed up my order but I did not want to kick a fuss. Today, I realised that there was no mix-up in the order all along - I must have simply ordered without thinking straight.

Da had taken the day off today to accompany FIL to attend to some matters relating to FIL's car, namely:-
(a) service FIL's car;
(b) pay the car insurance;
(c) pay the road tax; and
(d) send FIL's car for the mandatory vehicle inspection.

As I was not able to leave the office earlier, Da was in the midst of his dinner with FIL and MIL when I contacted him after I left NTUC Supermarket. I therefore proceeded to my mother's home after my dinner to chat with my mother while waiting for Da to pick me up.

When Da arrived, he gave me a slice of chocolate fudge cake that he had bought from the coffee shop where he had dinner. It was absolutely divine! I have to look for the recipe for this cake..... *grin*

I had bought some bread buns from the confectionery at Marine Parade after dinner today. As it was late, the bread buns were sold at S$1 per bun. The pork floss bun is one of Boy-Boy's favourite and he enjoyed eating the bread bun.

No matter what happens in our lives, keep your chin up. There will be tears and laughter but at the end of the day, we "keep walking" and trust the Lord to guide us down the correct path. This is the only way forward.

"Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky
You'll get by

If you smile
through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow

You'll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near

That's the time
You must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying

You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile"

(lyrics from "Smile")

Rest in peace, Michael Jackson. May you moonwalk on streets of gold in heaven always.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

(: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: (: thanks for sharing with us such a meaningful and reflective post. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin