Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Grand lady chef

This evening, I received two text messages on my mobile phone - one was from my mother and one was from ZT (girlfriend of my brother, LG). Both messages were of similar content and asked whether Da and I would be joining them for dinner today.

I replied to ask whether the "young lady chef" (that is, ZT) would be cooking dinner today. ZT replied that the "Grand lady chef" is the head chef for tonight.... *grin*

Ah... so my mother has decided to display her culinary skills again.

I met up with Da after work and we took a bus to my mother's home. When we arrived, we could smell the delicious aroma of a nasi lemak dinner.

As per our family's custom, finger food is a must to accompany the dinner. Hi Uncle T, do you see the Muar otah in the photograph below?

We had an additional side dish today - baked beans. However, when I took a bite of the baked beans, I tasted chilli. ZT grinned and said that they are spicy baked beans.

The nasi lemak chilli given to us on 26 July 2009 by the stallholder at our favourite coffee shop at Jalan Tua Kong came in handy today.

Some after-dinner drinks for you? How about a cup of Nescafe and a cup of Chinese tea? Wait a minute... what is the lovely swiss roll in the photograph below?

It is oreo swiss roll! I bought it from a stall at the Amoy Street hawker centre during lunch time today. Gosh... the swiss roll is so soft! My mother gave ZT "the look" when I told Da that I am inspired to bake an oreo cake in the near future.

Boy-Boy asked to have a slice of the oreo swiss roll. However, as it contains chocolate, sorry darling... not for you, kiddo.

On the topic of swiss rolls, hmm... I have not baked swiss rolls before. Perhaps I should give this a try.... *grin*

Shaloam,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pebbles, maybe you shld try doing this with the Muar otar. You the Muar otar as filling for wantan skin, then goreng [deep fry ] them till crispy. The result is otar wantan unlike the usual pork filled wantan that you get in kon loh mien. Kel can testify to the deliciousness of this otar wantan. Chow.
Moutzu

Blog Widget by LinkWithin