Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Be lifted up, 4th grandaunt

I received the shocking news today that this morning, my 4th grandaunt fell and passed away on the way to the hospital.

How could this be? To my natural human mind, the worst that can happen with a fall is a stroke or some broken bones. However, when it comes to such matters, who is to say?

My 4th grandaunt was the 4th sister of my maternal grandmother. She married late in life and converted to Catholicism to follow her husband. They have a son (my uncle) who is younger than me.

My granduncle passed away a few years ago.

She was a sprightly lady who was always ready to go "kai-kai" (ie. gallivanting). She was also fiercely independent and would take a bus from Kluang (where she lived) to Muar (where my grandmother lived).

The last I met her was during Chinese New Year this year. She was so chirpy and it was such a joy to be around her. She was also very sporting and ever willing to pose for me as I went around taking photographs using my digital camera. We even talked about our next "photography session". During Chinese New Year, I thought that I was taking candid photographs of her but it turned out that she knew that I was "lurking about" and she had deliberately stopped in the midst of whatever she was doing and she held her pose so that I could take snapshots of her!

4th grandaunt "pretending" to eat her longevity noodles (mee sua)

Be at peace, 4th grandaunt. I know that you have gone on to be with the Lord. He will take care of you always and you will walk on streets of gold in heaven.

I will miss you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was indeed shocking news when I received a text message from my sister this morning. 4th aunt always overworked herself, even after she
had retired from being a school teacher. I used to follow her around when I was a kid; I can still vividly remember the trip to Kuala Trengganu to watch turtles lay eggs.
One thing for sure, she had always loved her family! May she rest in peace; she will surely be missed.

Peh...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin