Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Tips for a smooth and angelic voice

Here is a tongue-in-cheek look at the numerous suggestions that I received from relatives and friends on how to ensure smooth vocal chords that will rival renowned singers:-

Herbal candy:

Lozenges do not work on me. I am not sure how effective herbal candies are but I am not overly fond of them as I do not like sweets. However, on the topic of herbal cures, I find that the "bitter tea" sold at Chinese herbal drink stalls works wonders for me whenever I have sore throat.

Honey (preferably Manuka honey)

Manuka honey is known to have antioxidant and healing properties. When I was preparing my vocal chords to sing at a church wedding on 8 November 2008, I took a tablespoonful of Manuka honey each night.

"Pi Pa Gao"

I have always known this as "Chuan Pei Pi Pa Gao". As such, I was surprised to find that what is sold at the stores is actually "Nin Jiom Pi Pa Gao". I do not know whether it is the same brand or whether the "Chuan Pei" brand is no longer being sold. It is best to take this "neat" (ie. without diluting with water). The concoction is quite thick and I find it sweet. However, it leaves a cooling and very soothing feeling in the throat. This is also useful when you can feel the onset of a sore throat - take a tablespoonful of the "Pi Pa Gao" three times a day and you are likely to be able to stave off a full blown attack of sore throat.

Steaming 1 egg white with rock sugar in a double-boiler

Thank you, Tiki, for sharing with me your grandmother's secret recipe. According to Tiki, her grandfather was a Teochew opera owner and his performers would take this concoction every day to ensure that their voices are able to withstand the rigours of a Teochew opera performance. For the uninitiated, opera performers often had to perform on a daily basis and sing for hours. As such, it was imperative that their voices be in tip-top condition at all times. A tip: the egg white should be half cooked and not fully cooked as it would harden when fully cooked.




No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin