Saturday, November 29, 2008

Life is good

I believe that the Lord wants us to live a carefree life. Look at the lilies in the field - they do not toil and yet there is no one clothed more beautifully than them.

When the weekend comes, we have a precious 2 days to take a break and to enjoy time with our family and loved ones.

This morning, I made my way to The Adelphi located at Coleman Street after a quick breakfast at Qi Ji at Raffles Link. Da had to work in the morning so I had a few hours to myself.


When I arrived, I looked up at the building. Hmm... looks like the building needs a new paint job. Earlier in the year, some of the subsidiary proprietors had broached the subject of a collective sale of The Adelphi. However, there was an unexpected market downturn and given the fact that the real estate industry is current "not moving", perhaps the subsidiary proprietors have put their collective sale plans on hold for the moment.

For me, I would be happy for the building to remain where it is because the beauty salon that I patronise is located in this building. The team of therapists working for the lady boss is experienced and well trained. They are also interesting to converse with. The lady boss is a lovely lady whose thoughtfulness is greatly appreciated by her clients. Being in the service line myself, I can understand how difficult it can be to be in the service industry. Not everyone is cut out for such work. Whilst we may encounter unreasonable or difficult clients, at the end of the day, we need to remember that we are there to serve and we should not take things personally. When we walk out of our office/shop, we should focus on our families and loved ones.

After a relaxing therapy session and interesting discussions with the therapists about various topics, I went to my office to clear some work while waiting for Da to finish work.

I received a text message from Da to meet at a bus stop along Robinson Road at 2 pm. He would take a bus from his office, let me know what bus number he has boarded and I would board the same bus when it approached the Robinson Road bus stop.

We had not eaten at one of the Hainanese coffee shops located along Purvis Street for some time, so we decided to eat at Chin Chin Eating House.

As we had already decided to continue with tea time almost immediately after lunch, we ordered 2 dishes at Chin Chin instead of our usual 3 dishes. Today, we ordered the claypot mutton stew and sliced bittergourd with sliced fish. The food did not disappoint, as always.

This sounds very greedy but the coffee shop that we wanted to adjourn to was located next to Chin Chin, so after we lingered at Chin Chin to chat (and to digest part of our lunch!), we got up and "went next door" to Y Y Kafei Dian ("Kafei Dian" means "coffee shop").

What did we have for tea time? Our usual, of course! 1 coffee (with evaporated milk), 1 tea (with evaporated milk), 1 doughnut and 1 toasted bread bun with peanut butter. Thoroughly decadent but absolutely divine! Hey, life is short - enjoy the simple pleasures in life!

Goodness me! We were so full after our tea time that we had to take a walk! As such, we took a long walk to Tekka Mall (now known as "The Verge") via the National Library and Bugis area. We had heard that the shops formerly located at The Concourse (yes, those shops selling wrapping paper at S$0.20 per wrapper!) had moved to The Verge.

However, when we arrived at The Verge (all drenched in perspiration), we were disappointed to see that the building was still under retrofitting.

As we slowly made our way back to City Hall area (to board the bus to Da's office where he had parked our car), we came across 3 shops next to each other along Middle Road. The banner at the top of the shops claimed that these shops were formerly located at The Concourse.

We browsed all the 3 shops before purchasing a packet of Christmas wrapping paper. Each packet contains 50 pieces of wrapping paper.

Although I had worn a comfortable pair of walking shoes, I must admit that by then, I was feeling very hot and humid in my jeans. My steps slowed and I could feel myself dragging my feet. When we arrived at Capitol Building at City Hall area, we made a quick detour to Shop In Department Store Pte Ltd. We had 2 purposes - (1) enjoy the air-conditioning and (2) I wanted to buy a pair of shorts / bermudas to change into.

I finally found a lovely pair of shorts. It is what is known as a "hipster" in that it is meant to be worn at the hip area and not waist-high. The cutting was perfect for me because I am pear-shaped and whenever I find a pair of pants that can fit my hips, the pants would be too loose at the waist. As such, I was happy to find a pair of pants that "had no waist area".

Da's mobile phone rang. It was ET, informing us that he had cooked laksa for dinner. ET is an excellent cook. En route to the home of The Three Musketeers, Da and I bought some pastries from a confectionery at Tanjong Pagar area.

Ordinarily, the after-dinner activities at the home of The Three Musketeers would be plenty of screaming and shouting while everyone is watching an English Premier League ("EPL") match. Tonight, however, there were not very interesting matches for the EPL games (the Red Devils are playing their game tomorrow!) and as such, we decided to play mahjong instead. Supercute and Tau Suan had never played this game before. Goodness me! They are fast learners! It is believed that playing mahjong keeps one's mind active as this game involves a lot of thinking and strategising. This is why the elderly are encouraged to play mahjong.

Time for a break! Calla Lily had arranged the pastries on a big plate and Tiki suggested taking photographs of the plate of pastries placed on top of the majong tiles. Lovely! Nining enjoyed the egg tarts tremendously.

It was a good and relaxing saturday. I look forward to tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u should just work at where i work. of all the places, purvis street for wkend lunch?! gosh! And is almost every week

LSD

Blog Widget by LinkWithin