Monday, November 10, 2008

Bosses Day

Bosses Day (also known as Boss's Day or National Boss Day) is a secular holiday celebrated on 16 October in the United States of America ("USA"). In Singapore, Bosses Day falls on the 1st saturday of November.

In USA, Bosses Day has traditionally been a day for employees to thank their boss for being kind and fair throughout the year.

Patricia Bays Haroski registered "National Boss's Day" with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in 1958. She was working as a secretary for State Farm Insurance Company in Deerfield, Illinois, USA at the time and chose 16 October. The birthday of her boss, who happened to be her father, was on 16 October. Ms Haroski originated National Boss Day in honor of her white-collar father, who helped all of his children with good advice throughout their careers. Ms Haroski's purpose was to designate a day to show appreciation for her boss and other bosses. She also hoped to improve the relationship between employees and supervisors. She believed young employees often do not realise the challenges bosses face in running a business. Four years later in 1962, Illinois Governor Otto Kerner backed Ms Haroski's registration and officially proclaimed the day.

Bosses Day has become an international celebration in recent years and now is observed in other countries such as England, Australia and South Africa. In Singapore, although Bosses' Day is not officially recognised, employees traditionally do celebrate Bosses' Day in November by taking their bosses out to lunch or buying them gifts. Nowadays, Bosses Day is traditionally celebrated with greeting cards, e-cards, flowers, gifts and a few extra smiles in honor of the big Boss Man or Lady.

(Sources
(1) Wikipedia
(2) holidayinsights.com
(3) chiff.com
(4) calendar-updates.com)

Today, some of my colleagues and I celebrated Bosses Day with a buffet lunch at Brio's cafe located at Grand Corpthorne Waterfront hotel.

The buffet spread was very wide. Due to the size of our group (there were 16 of us), we were split into 2 tables. Conversation and laughter flowed freely during lunch. It is not often that colleagues get the opportunity to gather together in such a big group to enjoy each other's company.

Not only was the food delicious, the dessert spread was amazing as well. I was happy to discover that there was dragon fruit (my favourite fruit) in the buffet spread.

As I was about to select some cakes for my plate, MC stopped me and asked me to select the fruit instead. Thinking that some of the others had already taken enough cakes for everyone, I restricted the selection on my plate to fruits.

When I went back to my seat, I got a surprise. Placed right in front of my seat was a large plate with 16 slices of cake on it. I looked at my colleagues, speechless. VW placed before me a plate with a slice of the most sinful looking chocolate fudge cake (with a lovely piece of strawberry on top) while SH placed a small cocktail glass of fruit with cream in front of me. As I sat down, MF took out a candle and inserted it into the chocolate fudge cake. She lit the candle and my colleagues then started singing "happy birthday" to me!

I am very touched that my colleagues took the trouble to arrange for:-
(a) a Bosses Day lunch; and
(b) a mini-celebration of my birthday (which falls on 11 November).

I made a wish before I blew the candle and my wish extended to everyone in our group. Be blessed, dear colleagues!

From some of my KTV kakis, LC and MC, I received a beautiful "blink-blink bracelet" (using the terminology of SY). I am amazed that they are so observant about my taste in jewellery. The bracelet is so "me" and it is what I would have bought for myself had I gone shopping for a bracelet. Thank you, team!

BD and SPD gave me a lovely "Our Daily Bread" Promise Box. It comes with little cards containing verses from the Bible. What a wonderful way to remember promises from the Word of God on a daily basis. I shall treasure this dearly. My grateful thanks, kiddos!

In the late afternoon today, LSD informed me that she would be popping by my office after work. As I had an appointment after work, I told her that we could meet up another day. However, she was insistent. I discovered why when she arrived. She brought along my birthday present. It is a lovely pair of dangling earrings from Marks & Spencer. Thanks so much, girl. Now, can you find a matching hair clip for me, please?

As I was busy taking photographs of my gifts at home, Da came home with a package in his hand and he handed it to me. He had just opened our letterbox and found a courier package from Norway in the letterbox. I opened the package. It was a beautiful present from my dear friend, HK! We have been penpals since we were about 12 or so. Every year, without fail, she always remembers my birthday. Thank you so much, my dear friend. I hope that you are keeping well. Are you making truffles for Christmas again this year?

To all who have been so thoughtful, thank you and may the Lord bless you richly.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sinful looking chocolate fudge cake! Remember supermodel figure, eh!

Btw, can I get you a matching necklace instead? Don't recall they have matching hair clip. hmm...that will be ur christmas prezzie? I better go buy it before it run out of stock..heeeee....

Erm...u mean u didnt know why I wanted to pop by your office today?! haha..thought it was very obvious, considering I am supposed to go home and study, right after work.

LSD

Anonymous said...

Hi there, Happy birthday to you!
And, hope you have a joyous and blessed birthday celebration with your family.
I enjoyed reading your blog, but I have to admit that the videos of the food items made me crave the food in Malaysia/Singapore.
FYI, we will be visiting Muar around mid-May 2009, right after my semester ends. Hope to see you. Peh...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin