Saturday, October 25, 2008

What a day!

I had intended to go to the office today to clear work. However, I was exhausted and I overslept.

In the end, I rushed from home to pick up Da from the office (he was working today). We had a quick lunch at the food court at Amara Shopping Centre before we made our way to the home of WC and SC. WC's niece will be getting married on 8 November 2008. WC, SC and I have been roped in to help out at the church wedding.

The last time that I helped out at a church wedding was... goodness me! It was at the wedding of WC and SC a few years ago! I was the lector as well. Time certainly flies.

We gave WC and SC some rosella dessert that I had made. (For the recipe, please refer to http://jesuslovespebbles.blogspot.com/2008/10/rosella-dessert.html.)

When we arrived, WC's mother gave us some hot dessert that she had made. It was white fungus with ginko nut dessert. Delicious!

All too soon, evening approached. We had to rush off for a dinner. After being in Singapore for eight years, 花 will be going back to Philippines on 30 October 2008. I have known 花 for 7 out of the 8 years that she has been in Singapore. I feel very sad that she has decided to return home for good. She is a lovely girl who is fun to hang out with. 花, I wish you all the best in your future endeavours and I hope that you will come back to Singapore from time to time to visit all your friends here, including yours truly.

Dinner was very healthy. We had shabu-shabu with mushroom hot pot.

The host had taken the trouble to buy several different types of mushrooms for the hot pot.

This morning, I baked a rosemary wine cake with walnuts and raisins for the dinner. I came across the recipe in a health magazine recently and I decided to try out the recipe today. Considering the fact that the recipe was published in a health magazine, my guess is that the cake must be quite healthy. After all, the recipe only involved 3 tablespoonfuls of butter.

The cake was accompanied by hot coffee. A wonderful combination.

I am pleased with how the cake turned out. I grated the walnuts myself. This is also the first time that I have made a cake with toppings. I had modified the recipe slightly as I could not find some of the ingredients at the supermarket. Not to worry, despite the modification in the recipe, the cake turned out fine. If, however, you are not too keen on walnuts, then leave the ground walnuts for the toppings only and do not add any to the cake mixture.

Dinner did not end with the cake and coffee. There is a yong tauhu stall located at the Bukit Merah View hawker centre that operates from 12 midnight to 4 am only. As we were all awake after the dinner and cake/coffee, we decided to adjourn for supper. The name of the stall is "Shunli".

Goodness me! Do Singaporeans not sleep at night? The queue was very long when we arrived. The procedure is to select your ingredients and place them in a bowl. Then, you queue up with your bowl and wait your turn to hand the bowl to the stallholder and to give him instructions on how many bowls of noodles you would like to order.

While waiting for our supper, we placed orders for our drinks. Unfortunately, the drink stall holder seemed to have made a mistake with our drink order. We ordered 3 glasses of Chinese tea but ended up with 3 glasses of English tea with milk.

Finally, supper arrived! The interesting thing is that the cooked ingredients are served with soup in an aluminium bowl. How quaint! We ordered 6 bowls of noodles but my camera could not fit all the bowls into the photograph below. Everyone ordered the yellow noodles except for me (I ordered beehoon).

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin