Sunday, October 12, 2008

Happy Birthday, Big Foot!

It is Big Foot's birthday today. Happy Birthday, Ah Hia!

Big Foot is an amazing person. He is an accomplished athlete and very knowledgeable in many matters. I am awed that he can play so many types of sport, from golf to sailing. He is truly a very versatile and remarkable person.

He is no longer in the first blush of youth but looking at him and the activities that he takes part in, you will never be able to guess his age. He epitomises the phrase "think young and you will look and be young"! (To BH - "I am sixteen!")

Da and I attended a dinner gathering today. As in all gatherings that we attend at friends' home, food was aplenty.

We started with hokkien mee (cooked in the style that can be found in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) fried with clams, prawns, vegetables, pork and fish cake. I do not eat clams, I try not to eat too many prawns and I am not fond of pork (other than bak kwa, char siew and barbequed pork ribs), so a certain someone was a happy recipient of these ingredients that I found in my plate.

The problem with frying clams is that sometimes the clam flesh is dislodged from the shell during the frying process. We were all excitedly looking for clam flesh that was still attached to the shell. I know, it sounds very juvenile but hey, let us think young, remember?

There was also pork rib curry. What made the dish interesting was that bamboo shoots were added. I was pleasantly surprised to find sliced potatoes (with the jackets still on) in the dish. The potato slices were able to retain their shape because they were fried separately before being added to the curry. Delicious! The curry was not spicy. I did not eat the pork rib but Da ate it and he enjoyed it.

Dessert was chin chow mixed with honey sea coconut and longan. It was very refreshing. I was told that the chin chow aids in digestion and bowel movement as well.

In addition to the dessert, we also ate doughnuts from Donut Empire. Their star product is, of course, the "double chocolate". You can see the double chocolate doughnut at the bottom right hand corner of the photograph below.

Just look at the colourful doughnuts! It was very difficult to choose which doughnut to eat. In the end, some of us cut our respective doughnuts into several pieces and shared the dougnuts.

No gathering would be complete without ending a lovely meal with a hot cup of coffee. I especially like Cafe Nova's latte.

Hi Big Foot! Here's wishing you a very happy birthday and many more to come! May the Lord bless you and Ben-Ben with long and fulfilled lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok..you are sixteen and I am six then. Lets not argue on this point. I give up on this. Even when I am at 6 yrs old, I am not so childish like somebody's who claims she's 16. *sniggers* - BH

Blog Widget by LinkWithin