Friday, October 17, 2008

Girls' day out

You know that your work has overtaken your life if you have to apply for your annual leave just to meet up with a friend for a meal.

However, knowing how unpredictable my work schedule is, I have long given up trying to schedule dinner appointments with my friends because more often than not, I end up cancelling the appointment last minute.

Recently, when SC and I were discussing having a meal together, she suggested applying for 1/2 day leave. I told her that I might as well take the whole day off. She thought that it was a good suggestion and she did likewise.

Gosh... it is such a wonderful feeling to wake up at the crack of dawn on a working day and not have to go to the office! However, SC commented (when we met up) and I agree with her, that the 2 of us will probably not get used to the lifestyle of a "tai-tai". So, I guess it is back to work next week.

I was so excited about today's outing and worried that I would oversleep that I ended up getting up at 5 am instead of 6 am! Groggily, I tried to catch another hour of sleep but it was intermittent and I was very glad when 6 am came.

It has been a long time since I woke up at 6 am and left the house at 7 am. Ah! The smell of fresh air! The sun was not yet up and so it was a very pleasant walk to the MRT station near our home for Da and me. Da, of course, was on his way to work whereas I was headed towards Delfi Orchard to meet SC.

As I alighted at Orchard MRT station, I used the underpass and crossed over to the other side of the road whereupon I walked towards Delfi Orchard. Along the way, I passed by a certain building that is known to a certain someone. I am sure that she has fond memories of business meetings that she attended at the following place:-

I arrived at Delfi Orchard at 7.45 am. SC happened to be turning into the car park. As the building entrance had not yet been opened, SC and I met at the front of the building. We decided to cross the road to Forum Galleria (next to Orchard Parade Hotel) for breakfast.

As SC and I walked into the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf cafe at Forum Galleria, we could smell freshly made coffee and pastries. Heavenly! SC ordered an English tea while I ordered a hot mocca. Goodness me! I did not expect the mocca to be served in such a tall glass.

As SC and I had therapy sessions scheduled for 9 am at Integrative Chiropractic at Delfi Orchard, we decided to have a light breakfast. As such, SC ordered a cranberry muffin while I ordered a cinnamon and apple muffin.

As we were enjoying our breakfast, SC handed to me a paper bag containing 3 containers:-

(a) 1 container of scrub salt containing Dead Sea salt from Israel; and

(b) 2 containers of body mud containing Dead Sea clay from Israel.

Thank you very much, SC, for the gift! I look forwarding to using them.

After breakfast, we made our way to Delfi Orchard which had, by that time, opened the doors to its entrance.

We had a 9 am appointment at Integrative Chiropractic. Actually, I had a 9 am appointment with the manual lymph drainage therapist whereas SC had a 9 am appointment with her chiropractor (at the same venue) as well as a 10 am appointment with the manual lymph drainage therapist.

You may be wondering what is manual lymph drainage ("MLD"). According to Wikipedia, MLD is a type of gentle massage which is believed to encourage the natural circulation of the lymph through the body. The lymph system depends on peristalsis and the movement of skeletal muscles to squeeze fluid through lymph ducts and vessels. MLD was pioneered by Dr Emil Vodder in the 1930s for the treatment of chronic sinusitis and other immune disorders. While working on the French Riviera treating patients with chronic colds, they noticed these patients had swollen lymph nodes. In the 1930s, it was taboo to tamper with the lymphatic system due to the medical profession's poor understanding of this system. The Vodders were not deterred by this and in 1932 began to study the lymph system and developed careful hand movements to cause lymph movement. In 1936, after four years of research they introduced this technique in Paris, France. MLD is now recognized as a primary tool in lymphedema management. Therapists can today receive certification through special classes conducted by various organizations specializing in MLD.

I found the MLD session very relaxing. It helps if you are used to breathing through your diaphragm instead of your chest. I count myself fortunate that I had choir training in school for about 10 years where we were taught to use our diaphragm to breathe. If you exercise your diaphragm constantly, achieving a flat tummy is no longer a dream in the horizon.

After I finished my MLD session, SC (having finished her therapy with her chiropractor) started on her MLD session. While waiting for SC, I flipped through several issues of a magazine from the United States of America known as "Today's Diet and Nutrition" (http://www.todaysdietandnutrition.com/). I found the magazine very informative. Best of all, there are many recipes in the magazine! I started looking for scrap paper in my handbag and I scribbled down as many recipes as I could. However, as I only had 2 supermarket dockets, I could only copy down 2 drink recipes and 1 cake recipe. I look forward to trying out the recipes!

After we left Delfi Orchard, we drove to Marina Square and did some window shopping. We entered a video shop and came out of it with more than S$200 worth of DVDs! Most of the DVDs belonged to SC whereas I bought 4 DVDs. I think the cashier's eyes nearly popped out when she saw the number of DVDs that SC bought. haha!

As we continued with our window shopping, we suddenly felt hungry. As we had already decided to have high tea at Axis Bar and Lounge at Mandarin Oriental Singapore (which is available between 3 pm to 5 pm), we decided to have a "light lunch". We wandered around but were undecided what to eat. Then, we spied a signboard that advertised teochew porridge buffet at S$7.90 per person. Buffet before another buffet? That sounded atrocious. However, we were swayed by the price of the teochew buffet porridge. Had we eaten anywhere else, it would have cost us more than $7.90 each.

As such, we walked boldly into Hotpot Culture at #02-138d Marina Square and requested the waitress for a table next to the window.

Why next to the window, you may ask? Well, we needed to while away the time till it was tea time, so we decided to combine lunch with reading of our novels (that we had brought along). Also, we wanted to chat and it was good to be secluded at the corner.

There were two rows of food on display for the buffet spread. We decided to share the dishes.

The buffet spread was not bad. What is interesting is that the dishes are served with sweet potato porridge. If you do not fancy porridge, there is fried vermicelli in the buffet spread as well.

Before you balk at the amount of food that you see in the photographs above, let me assure you that SC and I did not finish the food. However, we did not leave behind so many leftovers that we were charged for food wastage either. I shall leave it to your imagination as to how much of the food we ate.

We had a leisurely lunch and read our novels while sipping our Iron Buddha tea. It was certainly very relaxing.

All too soon, it was.... tea time! I cannot believe that we actually headed towards Mandarin Oriental Singapore but we did! As SC was more familiar with the hotel (as her wedding dinner was held in the hotel), she led the way to Axis Bar & Lounge.

We were shown to a low table surrounded by a long curved sofa. From where we sat, we could look out of the window and see the skyline.

I could not resist walking towards the window for a closer view. Yes, I could see the skyline of our Central Business District.

The Esplanade Theatre could also been seen from the window.

While SC and I were waiting for the arrival of our high tea (which would be served in trays), we leaned back against the plush sofa and relaxed. Ah! The life of a "tai-tai-for-the-day"!

SC had ordered a pot of mint tea whereas I requested for Earl Grey tea.

Ta-da! Do you see the delectable spread below? You can ask for a refill of any item that you fancy. Although there are 3 plates of different sizes with different food, you do not need to request for a refill of all the items on the same plate, ie. you can specify which of the items in the plate that you would like a refill.

They are renowned for their crème brûlée, which is a dessert comprising a custard base (normally flavoured with vanilla) topped with a layer of caramel, created by burning sugar under a grill or with a blowtorch or some other intense heat source.

I decided to request for some slices of lemon to accompany our tea. The inclusion of lemon slices makes the tea very refreshing.

We could not finish eating the food and certainly did not do justice to the delicious buffet spread.

Goodness me! It is past 11 pm now and I am still feeling extremely full after 2 buffets today! I decided to forego dinner today.

Hey SC, I had a great time today. Let's do this again soon! Oops... I mean, let's do this again when we have each lost 2 kg (or should we agree on 5 kg instead?).

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin