Sunday, October 5, 2008

Life's simple pleasures

My favourite football club, Manchester United was playing an English Premier League match in the wee hours of this morning. We were at the home of The Three Musketeers at that time. Ordinarily, I would have stayed up to watch the match (actually, who am I kidding? I would have had several "half-times" by then, wouldn't you agree, Supercute and Blackninja? *wink*). However, I had a meeting to attend today and as such, we had to attend the 9 am church service today. Yawn! That meant that we had to wake up early today.

As such, I decided to take "40 winks" while Da watched the match with the rest of the gang.

I was having such a lovely nap when Da nudged me and said that the match was over. Manchester United won the match, 2-0. Yippee! That was all that mattered! We made our way home.

With less than 8 hours of sleep, we were up again at the crack of dawn.

We arrived late for church. Da and I decided that we would change our schedule and go to the gym first before attending the 11.30 am church service. That would, however, mean that I would not be able to stay till the church service was over as I had to leave by 1 pm.

When we arrived, we had to walk past the church at Level 3 in order to take the elevator to Level 7 where the gym is located. As we walked past a church usher, she assumed that we were attending church (who else would be in the building so early in the morning?) and she informed us that there was one more "couple seat" available and asked whether we wanted the seat. Praise the Lord! Our Father God knew the dilemma that I was in and He answered my need exceedingly abundantly above all things!

As we were shown to the couple seat (which turn out to be, simply, 2 seats side by side), the praise and worship segment had just ended and the Pastor had just come on stage to start the sermon. I was surprised because by the time we arrived in church, I had expected the sermon to have started already. Do you see how faithful our Father is? He must have made the praise and worship segment longer than usual and He waited for us to arrive so that we would not miss any part of the sermon!

Today's sermon was awesome! Even though the Pastor talked about passages from the Book of Revelations, we learned that there is nothing to fear. We are at the end times. Many things mentioned in the Book of Revelations have come to pass. For example, we see a financial famine moving towards the North. These pestilence have been sent by evil beings. However, when we lift Jesus up as a banner against such evil beings, the evil ones flee! http://jesuslovespebbles.blogspot.com/2008/10/raise-banner.html

After church, we went to the gym. I was mindful of my timing and I stopped exercising at 12.30 pm to bathe and change.

I left at 1 pm for the meeting. It was a long and exhausting session. There were some finger food catered. I met some familiar faces at the meeting. I even met a woman who was my daddy's colleague in the 1980s! I also met another woman who is one of my mommy's dear friends! Imagine what a small world we live in!

In the evening, Da and I made our way to my mommy's place. My youngest brother was Head Chef again tonight. As my other brother and his wife were unable to join us for dinner, my youngest brother cooked only 3 dishes for 5 persons... oops, I meant 5 humans and 1 doggie!

First up, fried egg with sliced button mushrooms and preserved white carrots (commonly known as "chai por"). Unfortunately, as my family was unable to find the Rabbit brand of chai por, they settled for another brand but the chai por from this brand is more salty. I would recommend buying the Rabbit brand of chai por - the chai por is less salty and goes well with fried rice or fried egg.

We are supposed to "eat our veggies", aren't we? My brother stir fried button mushrooms, carrots and corn. When I commented that the dish tasted different from usual stir fried vegetables, my brother said that it was a "secret recipe". Not to be outdone, I tasted the gravy again and then triumphantly declared that he added sesame oil. He grinned.

Goodness me! My family is still in the "curry mood"! My brother fried a chicken curry with carrots, corn and chicken hotdog. However, as he had run out of meat curry powder and I had not yet passed to him the chicken curry powder that I bought from Little India yesterday (http://jesuslovespebbles.blogspot.com/2008/10/land-of-curry.html) he used fish curry powder instead. The dish tasted a bit tangy. It just goes to show that when the curry powder is meant to accompany fish, it would be better to cook a fish curry instead.

My brother mixes appetising cocktail drinks. Today, he made his usual lychee cocktail. It comprises lychee syrup, Bols lychee liqueur and Vodka.

After dinner, the little rascal that you see in the photograph below was ready to pose for me. My brother's girlfriend placed a bow-tie on him and he happily posed for many photographs. Isn't he so handsome?

Our little darling is such a good sport that he did not complain when the bow-tie was moved from his neck to his head. Awww.... so sweet!

For dessert, I cut a prune kueh lapis (Indonesian layer cake) that I had ordered from a colleague's relative who lives in Indonesia. Sedap! Shiok!

I also took out a container of Tim Tams. This chocolate cum wafer snack is very popular in Australia. Limited flavours are sold in Singapore.

I was in a baking mood! I decided to bake raisin bread. What you see in the photograph below is the bread dough waiting to be baked. I shall post the recipe soon! In the meantime, I can smell the bread baking in the oven. It smells heavenly! I cannot wait to taste the finished product.

1 comment:

wesirelander said...

ermm hmm..excuse me? but how many times did i see the word "fried" appeared in your post? tsk tsk tsk! *shakes head*

About ur couple seat, eeh..you were going for a sermon not a movie. Does it make a difference? *winks*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin