Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Little acts of thoughtfulness

Hamtaro and I had arranged to meet for lunch. She has 2 sons - Eddie and Eddy. Her sons' end-of-the-year examinations are coming up and they are unable to join us for a meal. Persevere, my dear boys! Remember that for so long as you have tried your best, do not worry about the outcome.

The venue? Our usual meeting place - Hans! (oops... I can almost hear a certain member of the 4D Club sighing dramatically.)

Hamtaro and her family had turned vegetarian several years ago. Fortunately, Hans has vegetarian food on the menu and as such, she was able to choose from a variety of dishes.

Who am I kidding? Each time Hamtaro and I meet for lunch at Hans, she will invariably order the same dish - vegetarian fried rice without egg. This time, I offered her the menu and asked her to consider ordering something different. After she gave the menu due consideration, she ordered... yes, sigh... vegetarian fried rice without egg.

I ordered the chicken omelette but asked the server to change the french fries to toasted bread. I did not have to pay additional charge for the variation of the order. However, it seems that if you change the french fries to toasted bread, you will have to forego the salad as well.

I had previously mentioned to Hamtaro in passing about a vegetarian snack made from seaweed. Imagine my surprise when she gave me a container of that very snack that I have been hungering for! It seems that she was in Geylang recently and was near the area where there are a number of vegetarian shops. She remembered the snack and took the trouble to buy a container of the same for me.

As you can see from the list of ingredients below, the snack is made from soya bean, seaweed and sesame seed. Very simple ingredients but what a lovely product. The snack is very crispy and the taste of the seaweed is not overpowering.

This is not all. Hamtaro also gave me a lovely floral arrangement in a round container for me to display in the office to brighten up my room.

The container comes with a lovely painted cover.

Naturally, to have the floral arrangement displayed would mean having to remove the cover. However, if the cover is removed, the floral arrangement will be exposed. To prevent dust from forming, Hamtaro thoughtfully used a see-through plastic cover (similar to those you can find at 7-Eleven for the slurpee drinks) and affixed the cover to the base of the container (as you can see in the photograph below).

Simple acts of thoughtfulness from a dear friend but greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin