Friday, September 19, 2008

All work and no play....

I had arranged to meet some business associates for lunch today. This was the 3rd time that we had arranged lunch. The first 2 times that we arranged, I had to reschedule at the last minute (my apologies!) as something came up last minute at work and I was not able to get away.

CM was giving the rest of us a treat today. He had suggesting meeting for lunch at First Thai Restaurant located along Purvis Street (opposite Y Y Kafei Dian).

As our timing was rather flexible, we had agreed that after my meeting (which was scheduled for 11 am), I would leave the office around 12+ pm and notify them when I had managed to hail a taxi.

As I was in the taxi, minding my own business, the taxi driver decided to discuss economics with me! He talked about the queues for the past few days at AIA's office along Robinson Road/Finlayson Green, the need to invest in stocks and shares, the fact that the economy goes up and down over time, etc.

I heaved a sigh of relief when I spied the restaurant. My ears were ringing from all the financial jargon used by the taxi driver (and in Mandarin, no less!).

This was the first time that I was eating at this restaurant, so I left the ordering of the food to CM, AO and ML. Goodness me! They ordered quite a number of dishes. The menu looked interesting. Da likes Thai food as well, so perhaps the next time that Da and I have lunch at Purvis Street, we may patronise this restaurant instead of one of the Hainanese restaurants along Purvis Street.

While waiting for the food to arrive, ML and I went over to Y Y Kafei Dian and I bought some donuts for my staff. The donuts sold at Y Y Kafei Dian are very delicious, especially when eaten fresh.

Finally, the food arrived. The green curry had lean pieces of chicken fillet in them. The curry was not too spicy.

I must admit that I found the pork fried with basil leaves spicy. It was nevertheless very appetising.

I am not a very big fan of kang kong because old wives' tale says that kang kong is too "cooling" for women. Also, it is usually fried with sambal belacan. However, the kang kong that I tried today was not too spicy.

The next dish is very tasty. It is akin to what is commonly known as beef kway teow. The pieces of beef are very tender. Oops! Or was it chicken kway teow? I am not certain as I did not eat the meat. I only ate the kway teow and the vegetables.

Actually, when I ate the cutlet, I had no idea what kind of cutlet it was save that the batter was nice and crispy. Subsequently, I heard ML mention that this is prawn cutlet.

How can I describe the tom yam soup? When I first drank the soup, I thought that it was not too spicy. However, the more soup I drank, the more spicy it got. How is this possible?

We had also ordered olive rice. However, we were so caught up with chatting that I did not realise until we were halfway through the meal that I did not take a photograph of the olive rice. Well, suffice to say that the rice was very delicious!

If you have not guessed by now, we could not finish our food. Notwithstanding this, when CM suggested dessert, I perked up and recommended going to Y Y Kafei Dian for "drinks and toast". I had in mind the toasted bun with peanut butter!

When the drinks and snacks arrived, I had an attack of guilty conscience. I had already eaten so much for lunch! Considering how I am trying to slim down, I looked at the toasted bun and then requested ML to share the toast with me.

Fortunately, the toasted bun was already cut into 2 portions, so ML ate one half while I had the other half of the bun. Finger-licking good!

1 comment:

wesirelander said...

my dear..i believe thats call "prawn cake" and not "prawn cutlet". Don't think your business associate could be that blur to say it is a "cutlet". The peanut butter toast looks FATTENING! where's ur determination to reduce weight?!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin