Sunday, September 7, 2008

Enjoying the sabbath

There's nothing like a relaxing sunday to recharge oneself for the coming working week.

Da and I met my family for lunch at our favourite coffeeshop located at Jalan Tua Kong. The nasi lemak / nasi padang stall (run by Chinese) was closed today. As such, the yong tauhu stall and the one-dish-meal stall were having roaring business. As a matter of fact, there are only 3 food stalls and 1 drink stall in the coffeeshop and all the stalls are well patronised.

As we left the coffeeshop and made our way to church, I remarked to Da that I intend to jog on the treadmill at the gym today. I am getting tired of my water retention / weight gain problem. No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get rid of the problem. Lately, we have not been exercising. Sometimes, it is due to the fact that it is raining at night, thereby preventing us from brisk walking / jogging around the track near our home. Sometimes, it is due to the fact that I have a meeting to attend at night (and I guess if I am not there to accompany Da, he will conveniently not go for his walk!).

After church and gym, we made our way to my mother's home. When we arrived, we smelt delicious aroma coming from the kitchen. My youngest brother was displaying his culinary skills again!

I stared at the dinner spread. I remember telling my brother that I would buy Don's chicken pie and all he had to do was to cook some canned soup. How did we end up with a buffet spread?



My mobile phone rang. It was god-sister on the line. She, her parents and her nephew were outside my mother's home, delivering godpa's famous "kong bak pau". Our mouths began to water. I quickly took the box of mooncakes that I had bought for them and I went out to meet god-sister. She exclaimed when she saw that I was carrying something in my hand. Just as she turned, the most amazing thing happened. The entire contents of whatever she was carrying in the paperbag fell onto the road! There was a group of guys standing nearby and I think they saw the whole episode! I rushed forward to help her just as godpa got out of the car as well. Fortunately, although the containers were strewn all over the road, the food inside the containers were intact. Phew! I quickly carried the containers into the house before I washed my hands and went out again to chat with them. The little nephew was strapped to the childseat in the car and he was apparently too shy to get out of the car. He greeted me with "Auntie" and when he was prompted, he said "I love you". Awwwwww.......... then he gave me a little kiss on my cheek. Wow! I will not be able to sleep tonight! hehe...

When my family continued with dinner, we all had a laugh when my brother's Jack Russell Terrier ("JRT") came towards the dinner table. He was very excited because he smelt the "kong bak pau". The little rascal is a carnivore!

JRT has not been well lately. His royal highness is such a home-dog that when he was brought out for a walk recently, he developed blisters on his left hind leg! We have been teasing JRT, telling him that we should buy track shoes for him.

My brother's girlfriend made little mittens for JRT using old socks. He hates the mittens and will not hesitate to pull them out. However, doesn't he look absolutely adorable in the mittens?



It was a very full meal that we had. I had also bought crispy peanut pancakes from Jolly Bean at Suntec Tower Four this evening. So by the time we sat down to after-dinner drinks (we all decided to drink Chinese tea while my brother's girlfriend chose Japanese green tea), we did not have any space for the pancakes. However, since I had already bought them, everyone dutifully ate one pancake each while we watched "KING KONG" on television.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin