Thursday, September 18, 2008

Catching up on old times

"You have a message". Curious, I checked my inbox to see who the electronic mail was from. Gasp! It was 小白! She had emailed SC and me to inform us that she is back in Singapore for a short vacation.

The 3 of us were classmates in 1985. In fact, 小白 and SC have been classmates / schoolmates since 1979 (if I recall correctly).

Wait! Before you start counting our ages on your fingers, let me assure you that the three of us are still sweet sixteen!

Since 小白 will be going back to San Jose in the United States of America (where she currently works) soon, we arranged to meet at Raffles Hotel for dinner. The meeting point? Where else? Outside Ah Teng's Bakery.

Shortly after 7 pm this evening, I received an sms from SC. She offered me a lift to Raffles Hotel. Who would turn down an offer of a lift? I quickly accepted.

When SC and I arrived at the hotel, we "trespassed" through Ah Teng's Bakery on our way to the meeting point. There was a queue in the bakery. I glanced at my watch. Ah! It was slightly after 8 pm. I guess they are still having their "buy 1, get 1 free" promotion which is only available after 8 pm. I have to admit that I was tempted to join the queue! Years ago (er... when I was still a sweet er... sweet fourteen), the "buy 1, get 1 free" promotion was only available after 9 pm. My friends and I used to hang around Raffles City till 9 pm. At 9 pm sharp, you can find our noses pressed to the display counter, whispering to each other and discussing what to buy. My favourites back then (I do not know if the bakery still sell these) were:-
(a) healthy muffin - an extremely large but healthy muffin made from bran; and
(b) chicken pie - it is double the size of most chicken pies and the filling is plentiful.

Anyway, before I get caught up going down memory's lane, let us get back to the present....

小白 joined us shortly and we made our way to Seah Street Deli. To our delight, the place was not full and we were able to get a table. The waitress brought over what appeared to be 3 newspapers. I wondered why she was giving us newspapers to read instead of the menu. Imagine my surprise when I opened the "newspaper" and discovered that the inside pages contained the menu. What a novel idea!

After pondering over the menu, we decided to share the meal. Having lived in San Jose for the past 3 years, 小白 said "oh, we are having the family plate". SC and I looked at 小白 in puzzlement before it dawned on us that "family plate" refers to sharing of a meal in USA.

As we were thirsty, we decided to order the lime juice. It seems that the menu has changed. Previously, they sold lemon juice and it was "free flow". The lime juice arrived in a pitcher and it was very refreshing.

小白 has been a whirlwind in the past few days that she has been back in Singapore. It seems that each day is filled to the hilt with appointments and meals. In fact, she had rushed from another place to meet us. As she has been "eating every 2 hours" (in her words), she was not that hungry and as such, she decided not to order a clam chowder. SC and I had ordered 1 clam chowder each. The chowder is ladled into a bread bun with the insides of the bun dug out. So, the bun doubles-up as a bowl. I found the chowder very delicious. I have a suggestion - to thicken the chowder, one can either use grated / shaved potato or one can add cheese. The disadvantage of adding cheese is that it makes the chowder more salty.

SC had ordered a dish called "Broadway" to be shared. The dish actually comprises a piece of chicken thigh and some boneless pork ribs. We had a choice of a side dish, so we ordered the potato salad. SC had actually had in mind the potato skins (which Seah Street Deli is known for). However, the server informed us that their menu has changed and now, the potato skins are only available as part of the appetizer.

Next came the salad. Ever since SC ordered Caesar's salad which was delivered to our hotel room for sharing by SC, WC, Da and me when Da and I got married (yes, if you have not guessed by now, SC and WC were our bridesmaid and best man respectively), I have been hooked on Caesar's salad. Today, we added chicken pieces as well. We were not disappointed. The salad dressing was not overpowering and the lettuce was very fresh.

The conversation was as free flowing as the lemon juice would have been had the juice still been on the menu. Although SC met up with 小白 when SC and WC went on their trip to USA in May/June 2008, I had not seen 小白 for the past 3 years. There was so much to catch up on!

Oh! In case you are wondering why there are so many photographs of the food attached to this post, let me assure you that 小白 and SC have figured out that I love to attach photographs to my posts. I explained to them that nowadays, whenever I have meals with my family / friends, no one gets to eat the food until I have finished taking photographs of the food! haha!

Even SC got caught up in the fun of taking photographs! She took out her digital camera and started snapping away. Unfortunately, her battery chose to hibernate after a few shots were taken. Not to worry, my dear girl, enjoy the photographs attached to this post!

小白 - please have a safe flight back to San Jose. Do think it through carefully before making a decision whether you want to move back to Singapore. You have the opportunity to get a "green card" over there and this is something that others would give an arm and a leg for. Besides, if you move back here, then where are SC, WC, Da and I going to stay when we visit San Jose? haha!

小白 and SC - I enjoyed catching up with you. Let's group chat on msn soon. Take care and God Bless You.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin