Sunday, June 21, 2009

Mum's the word

My mother took a break from the workforce in May 2009. Well, technically, it is called "retirement" but I would prefer to call it a break. To her, it is paramount that one should keep one's mind, body and soul active at all times. As such, she has since:-
(a) joined the people's association at the community club (she even signed up to do volunteer work);
(b) borrowed some cookbooks from the public library;
(c) started cooking the family meals again.

Da and I met up with my mother, my brother (LG) and LG's girlfriend (ZT) at our favourite coffee shop at Jalan Tua Kong for lunch today. As one of the three stalls at the coffee shop is having a one-month break, the other two stalls are very busy. As such, we had to wait quite a while for our food. No worries - it gave us an opportunity to chat and to catch up. It also gave the drinks stall guy a chance to discuss soccer with his "soccer brother" (that is, Da).

By the time we finished our lunch, it was too late for Da and I to make it for the 2.30 pm church service. Nevertheless, we decided to proceed to Suntec City anyway and park our car at Suntec Tower Four so that we could go to Carrefour. We wanted to buy a table fan to replace the one in our bedroom that is spoiled. We have been using that table fan since 1998, so I guess it was long past its retirement age.

When we arrived at the car park, it was past 3 pm and the car park was very crowded. We managed to secure a car park lot after a while and we proceeded to Carrefour. Gosh, they have such a wide range of table fans and standing fans. We spent some time selecting a table fan. How did we do it? Well, we stood in front of each fan and compared the amount of breeze from each fan. In the end, the Toyomi table fan won the day and we made our purchase.

It was another anointed church service today. The wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus. We have the same life that God lives by. Jesus came that we might have life and have it more abundantly. Eternal life does not mean living forever; it refers to the quality of life. Abba Father, I receive abundance of grace and the gift of righteousness through Your Son, Jesus Christ. The main ingredient of anointing is the sense of forgiveness. When we sense that we are forgiven, we will forgive others. Once we have the Holy Spirit, we have authority to remit sins and to retain sins - make the right choice today.

After church, Da and I proceeded to my mother's home. When we arrived, my other brother (LB) and his wife (MF) had already arrived. The head chef for the night was none other than my mother, displaying her culinary skills.

What did my mother cook for dinner tonight? Well, she stir-fried french beans with carrots, prawns and fish cake.

She also cooked one of her signature dishes - deep fried tou fu with minced meat and dried mushroom in black bean sauce (that is, "tao chiew"). (Hi GP, this is the dish that I told you about last week.)

Another of my mother's signature dishes is her onion omelette.

My mother wanted to steam a fish but as she did not have any tomatoes, she cooked the sea bass in black bean sauce (that is, "tao chiew") instead.

Ah... we have an additional piece of fish cake. Would you like to have it?

My mother also cooked one of my daddy's favourite dishes, which he affectionately called "prison rice".

My mother had an able assistant in the kitchen and hence, dinner was served by 8 pm or thereabouts.

While waiting for dinner to be served, the rest of the family busied themselves reading the newspapers and watching "Finding Nemo" on television.

Dinner time! Look at the wonderful spread. It has been some time since we enjoyed a full meal cooked by my mother. It was a delicious and appetising dinner.

After dinner, LG and ZT served slices of apple pie (which Da and I bought from Han's Cafe & Cake Shop) this evening. I originally wanted to buy their apple crumble but they only had the apple pie available.

Boy-Boy was very well behaved tonight. He must have been very pleased that everyone was at home having dinner together.

As the saying goes... a family that eats together, stays together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

morning foodie

can i have a step by step instructions on the preparation of the tofu dish pleeeeze....

gp

Unknown said...

I love the last sentence... :)

Unknown said...

Hmmm....very tempting time to make a beeline south to catch up with ur mom.

Moutzu

Blog Widget by LinkWithin