Saturday, June 13, 2009

Happy birthday, MIL and SCT

It was a 2-in-1 birthday celebration at the home of SIL today. Yesterday was the birthday of SIL's daughter, SCT whereas today is the birthday of MIL.

As Da had to work this morning, I woke up early and started preparing some food to bring to the birthday party. On Sunday, 7 June 2009, we had bought a large bunch of unripe bananas. By today, the bananas were overripe and perfect for baking cakes, bread, muffins, etc. I rubbed my hands in glee and started planning what to bake with the bananas.

In the early afternoon, my friend KN popped by our home. She lives in the development next to ours but she has since sold her apartment and will be moving to Simei. She was at home arranging for the last of her boxes to be moved. We chatted for a while and I gave her some sour cream banana cake and some yoghurt and banana muffins to bring home for her and her children to enjoy. I will be meeting them again on Wednesday, 17 June 2009 and I am looking forward to it.

Da had arranged for a visit to the dentist this afternoon. After our dental appointment with the dentist at East Coast Road, we went to Glory Catering (opposite the dentist) for a quick bite. We ordered:-
(a) mee rebus
(b) mee siam
(c) kopi tarik
(d) teh tarik
and we shared the food and drinks.

Glory Catering was having a promotion for a new item. A bottle of "super hot crispy shrimps" was being sold at S$3. We decided to buy two bottles - 1 for MIL and 1 for my mother.

When we reached home, I made last-minute touch-ups of the food I prepared before I started packing the food to bring them to the home of SIL. I was particularly pleased with the peach tart that I baked. (Speaking of this, how was the peach tart, SIL? This is the first time that I have baked a peach tart. I had only just bought the pie dish a few days ago. We were all too full after dinner to eat the peach tart, so the entire peach tart was untouched at the party today.)

As I wanted to finish the entire bunch of overripe bananas, many of the items that I baked today used bananas as the ingredients. I cooked / baked:-
(a) otah and vegetable bergedel
(b) mock shepherd's pie (I used fish instead of ground meat)
(c) pumpkin seed and banana bread
(d) yoghurt and banana muffins
(e) sour cream banana cake
(f) cake pudding (I baked a chocolate fudge cake and used it as the base for the cake pudding) with pudding sauce
(g) peach tart

When we left our home, Da and I detoured to the home of FIL and MIL to give them a lift to SIL's home. When we arrived at SIL's home, the other guests had arrived. BIL had invited his two brothers and their families to the party. BIL's eldest brother (and his family) were not available but his second brother (and his family) were present.

There was, as always, a large variety of food on the dinner table. I placed the otah and vegetable bergedel and the mock shepherd's pie on the table before I took a photograph of the lovely spread.

After dinner, it was cake time! BIL and SIL had ordered two cakes from Awfully Chocolate, a confectionery that is owned by a woman who graduated with a law degree but who is no longer practising law. She was the Law Queen in her first year in the university.

MIL's cake was the original chocolate cake.

SCT's cake was the chocolate banana cake.

I would have loved to sample both types of cake. However, I was very full from dinner and could only manage to eat a slice of the original chocolate cake. It was very moist and fudgey.

As is the custom at the home of SIL, there were slices of cut fruit to refresh the guests after dinner.

There was a fluffy of activity after dinner. SCT was preparing to go out. She had arranged with her friends to go to Zouk and thereafter, to stay over at the home of one of her friends. I have been to a discoteque once - when I was in my first year of university. It was my first and last time going to a discoteque. I found the music too loud and it gave me a headache. Back then, smoking was allowed in air-conditioned places and I could not tolerate the smell of the cigarette smoke.

Happy birthday, MIL and SCT! May the favour of the Lord be upon you always.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin