Monday, May 11, 2009

yoghurt and banana muffin

Lately, I have been buying bananas very often. No, I have not developed a fondness for bananas (I still have my doubts as to whether they are really not fattening). I have discovered that bananas make wonderful ingredients in bread, cakes, muffins, pies, etc.

Nowadays, when I buy a bunch of bananas during the weekends, I will select a bunch that is not ripe. I will then leave the bunch of bananas in the kitchen until the next weekend, by which time the bananas are overripe and perfect for my baking needs.

The next time that you have overripe bananas and flavoured yoghurt at home, do give the recipe in this post a try. I did some trial and error when I created the muffins that you see in this post and I have to say that I am happy with the results. The muffins are moist and delicious.

Do not be afraid to experiment when you bake cakes or muffins. The worst case scenario is that you end up with cakes or muffins that are a little too dry. In such a case, do not throw them away. Instead, use them to make cake pudding. You can, of course, use normal cakes to make cake pudding. However, you can also use cakes that are too dry for direct consumption to make cake pudding.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups self-raising flour
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
125g butter (softened)
1 cup castor sugar
1 egg
2 large bananas (mashed)
200g flavoured yoghurt (I used mixed berries yoghurt)
1/4 cup low-fat milk

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2. Line the muffin pans with the paper muffin cups. Set aside.

3. Sift the self-raising flour and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.

4. Cream the butter and castor sugar in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well. Stir in the mashed bananas, yoghurt and milk using a wooden spatula.

5. Fold in the flour mixture and stir until just combined.

6. Pour the batter into the muffin cups until 3/4 full.

7. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin