Sunday, May 31, 2009

Happy birthday, Da!

It is Da's birthday today. Many happy returns of the day, Da... and many more to come!

I had intended to wake up early today to bake some bread. However, by the time I got up, it was already late morning. As such, Da and I arranged to meet my mother, my brother (LG) and LG's girlfriend (ZT) for lunch at the food court located at the basement level of Katong Shopping Centre.

As Da and I drove into the car park and looked for a car park lot, I was amused to see the following sign at one section of the car park:-

What a polite sign! It even said "Sorry sir". *grin*

Goodness me! The food court was extremely crowded. After we stood around for a while, we managed to secure a table whose occupants had just vacated it. My mother, LG and ZT all ordered yong tau hu while Da and I both ordered mini hot pot. Delicious, as always!

After a very satisfying lunch, Da and I proceeded to church. We enjoyed today's church service tremendously. It is amazing what little tricks the devil come up with. He will try make us lose our sense of unmerited favour and righteousness. When Jesus died on the Cross, His work was finished. We have been given grace (unmerited favour) and the gift of righteousness through one Christ Jesus. This can never be taken away from us. However, when we lose the sense that we are righteous and have unmerited favour, we start to look towards ourselves and end up with self-dependence, self-pity and ultimately, self-condemnation. The stress that we go through is nothing more than fear - the fear that we cannot manage everything with our two hands. Whenever we start to feel helpless about our situation, we need to stop and realise that this is nothing more than a little trick by the devil to make us look towards ourselves. We need to take one step back, wave off the evil one and look towards our Lord and Saviour. In and of ourselves, we cannot. Nothing is impossible for the Lord and we need to always remember this. Whatever it is that we are believing God for, have faith that He will always answer our prayers.

After church, I contacted my mother regarding dinner. LG is feeling a little under the weather and I had earlier suggested that my mother cook salmon porridge for dinner. When we arrived at my mother's home, we could smell a delicious aroma coming from the kitchen. I stepped into the kitchen and saw our lady chef busy frying some of her signature dishes and some new creations.

The menu for dinner comprised:-

(a) chicken with dried mushrooms stir-fried with black-bean sauce

(b) sweet and sour prawns with lychee, mixed greens and dried mushrooms - the inclusion of lychee gave the dish a very unique taste

(c) pan fried salmon with button mushrooms

Simple home-cooked food but very satisfying. It has been some time since my mother has displayed her culinary skills. I look forward to more home-cooked meals from her.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin