Sunday, May 17, 2009

Working on the Sabbath

Gosh, it has been about two years since I last worked on a sunday. As we are currently involved in a big project at work, some of my colleagues and I had to go back to the office this morning.

I had intended to go for the 9 am church service today and thereafter proceed to the office. However, I overslept and woke up at 10.30 am only. As such, I went straight to work from home.

Before Da and I left the house, I packed a few slices of the raisin bread (that I baked last night) for my colleagues to enjoy.

I also brought along a bottle of crunchy cheese cookies that I baked yesterday. One of my colleagues was so addicted to the cookies that he single-handedly finished half the bottle of cookies!

It was a hectic day at work and we were all hungry by mid-afternoon. We decided to order some one-dish meals (such as fried rice, sliced fish hor fun, double-boiled soup, etc) from a nearby Chinese restaurant. When our order arrived, some of us burst out into laughter when we saw the portion of fried rice in the 3 take-away containers. My colleague had ordered fried rice for 3 persons but the person who took the order must have misunderstood and gave us 1 portion of fried rice, divided into 3 containers!

I left the office at about 4.30 pm and a colleague kindly gave me a lift to church. I arrived just in time for the 5 pm church service.

By the time I left the office, I had developed a bad headache at the back of my head. As I was leaving the office, I felt like skipping church today and going home to rest. When that feeling came upon me, I knew that the devil was trying to prevent me from listening to a powerful message. I persisted and resolutely went to church notwithstanding the pounding head. The guest speaker today was Reverend Terry Mize and his topic today was on faith and miracles. As I listened to him, a feeling of calm and joy overcame me. How wonderful our Lord and Saviour is! Jesus is the miracle of God and through Him, miracles happen. We are all created in the likeness of God and we have to take spiritual authority over our lives and the lives of those around us. When the church service was over, I realised that the headache had left me during the service without my knowing it. Thank You, Jesus!

Da and I met up with the rest of my family and we proceeded to Hong Kong Street Family Restaurant at Eastwood Centre for dinner. As always, the food was delicious and appetising. For 5 medium-sized dishes accompanied by 7 bowls of steamed rice and 7 glasses of Chinese tea, the total cost of the dinner came up to about S$80+.

As per our usual habit, my family and I proceeded to the Cold Storage Supermarket (which is located next to the restaurant) after dinner. Guess what? Da's sharp eyes spied a box of corn meal! I have been searching for corn meal for some time. Yippee! My mind is now full of ideas as to what to cook / bake using the corn meal, such as corn muffins, corn bread, etc.

When we left Eastwood Centre, my brother (LB) and his wife (MF) went straight home while Da and I gave my mother, my other brother (LG) and LG's girlfriend (ZT) a lift to my mother's home. LG had bought two cartons of low-fat milk and I watched in amazement as my mother poured some milk in a small bowl and Boy-Boy promptly drank up all the milk. Meow! Our little darling has feline traits in him! I am told that he also loves cheese. Wow....

With effect from yesterday, my mother's home now has cable television. My mother is looking forward to watching Channel 69 (that is, Asian Food Channel). It is also one of my favourite channels on cable television.

Abba Father, I thank You for granting my family and I favour in the week ahead. May our lives be filled with Your grace and may there be many wonderous miracles and testimonies coming forth.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin