Tuesday, February 3, 2009

When the cock crows.....

Beep-beep-beep. I opened one eye. Gosh! It was still dark! Sleepily, I reached over to stop the alarm on my mobile phone from beeping and I looked at the time. Yawn... it was 5.45 am. Should I get up? Should I sleep a bit more?

Sigh... the perennial 6 million dollar question each morning. I know that if I close my eyes and catch a bit more sleep, the "a bit more" often ends up being "a lot more" and I am late for work.

Giving in to temptation, I closed my eyes for a while. When I opened my eyes again, it was 6.45 am. Deciding that it was too "risky" to sleep further, I got up sleepily and got ready for work.

This week, we have decided to try out the suggestion of AJ (wife of UJ). Da and I live quite far from work and it is very tiring to walk that bit of distance to the MRT station in the hot morning sun each morning (and even more tiring to drag our feet home from the MRT station at night!). As such, AJ had suggested to Da (when we met at my maternal grandmother's home in Muar, Malaysia during Chinese New Year this year) that we drive to my mother's home (which is nearer our office) and park our car at the side of the road. From there, we can take a bus to work. If we were to take a bus from the bus-stop near my mother's home, I will be able to alight at the bus-stop just in front of my office building. Da would be able to alight two bus-stops away and walk a short distance to his office.

As Da and I managed to leave our home at 7.45 am today, we decided to make a detour to the hawker centre in Marine Parade for breakfast.

Da ordered his favourite chee cheong fun and chwee kueh.

I ordered breakfast bee hoon (vermicelli). Of all the breakfast bee hoon that I have ever eaten in Singapore, this stall's breakfast bee hoon is one of the nicest. Best of all, the stall holder recognises me and always remembers not to put any pounded chilli on my plate of breakfast bee hoon (even without my having to remind her).

There are several drink stalls at the Marine Parade hawker centre. However, our favourite drink stall is located at the Muslim section. We like the teh tarik and kopi tarik from this stall.

After breakfast, while Da went to the Singapore Pools (lottery) outlet to buy Toto (for the grand Chinese New Year draw), I browsed around the supermarket where the Singapore Pools outlet is located and I managed to buy some liquid fertiliser for the African Violets in my room in the office.

Gosh! Look at the time! We drove to my mother's home and parked our car under the shade of a big tree near her home. From there, we took a short walk to the bus-stop near her home.

The bus-stop is located opposite a mixed development known as "Grandlink Square". There are retail shops and apartment units in Grandlink Square.

Goodness me! Just when you hope that you encounter a "Formula One" bus driver, the bus that you board happens to be driven by a driver who thinks that he is driving a bullock cart. He was driving so slowly! I felt as though we were being taken on a leisurely guided tour of the city. I even had time to take clear photograph of the skyline (see photograph below) from where I was seated in the upper deck of the double-decker bus.

Finally! I reached my destination. I alighted the bus and waved a cheery "good-bye" to Da. Have a blessed day at work today, Da!


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin