Wednesday, February 11, 2009

smoke gets in your eyes

Da had a visitor at his office this evening. It was his cousin, MT, paying him a surprise visit!

MT lives in Brisbane, Australia and he is currently in Singapore on vacation.

Da contacted me and the three of us arranged to have dinner at Lau Pat Sat Festival Market, a food centre near my office.

As we had in mind to eat satay, we proceeded to the section where there were many satay stalls. When we arrived, many satay stallholders surrounded us immediately, trying to persuade us to patronise their stall. It was very confusing. They even followed us as we continued walking.

In the end, we decided to patronise the satay stall that was in the middle, that is, stall no. 9. We ordered 15 sticks of beef satay and 15 sticks of chicken satay. I found the satay meat very tender. The peanut sauce was also not overly spicy.

We also ordered a plate of mee goreng from a female stallholder who placed her menu on our table. She looked disappointed when we did not order anything else. The mee goreng that you see in the photograph below looks a little anaemic because we requested that it be fried without chilli. Other than this, it was quite tasty.

We ordered a serving of roti john (with chicken instead of mutton). When I was growing up, my family used to patronise a stall at the Muslim food section of Haig Road hawker centre that sold delicious roti john. If I recall correctly, the name of the stall was "Rosy and Nora" (or something along those lines). I do not know off-hand whether the stall is still there. I shall have to remember to check this out the next time that I am at Haig Road hawker centre.

Considering that it was past 9 pm, the dinner was substantial enough for the three of us. However, as we were seated among the satay stalls, the smoke from the satay pits kept waffling all over the place and into our eyes. We probably ended up with the smell of satay in our hair and on our clothes!

As we did not order any drinks during dinner, we decided to adjourn to the drink / dessert stall after dinner. MT ordered a coca-cola, I ordered Chinese tea while Da ordered Durian Mount Fuji (a dessert that is essentially ice kachang with durian pulp and a scoop of durian ice cream).

It was an enjoyable dinner, as always.

Let me end this post with something for you to chew over (that we were discussing during dinner). Why is it that we find it difficult to "let go and let God"? A possible analysis is this:-

(a) For the men, it is an "ego thing". They know that they should let God take control of the wheels but their ego wants to be the one to "solve the problem" or "put that nasty person in his place".

(b) For the women, it is not an issue of ego. It is an issue of logic over faith. They think, "I am at my wit's end and it is in God's hands. But I do not see how this can be resolved. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear....".

I do not deny that it is easy to say "have faith and let God take charge" but it is sometimes difficult to execute. It is a learning curve for us. People have asked me about the worship posts in my blog. Whilst I am happy to share with others about the love of God for us, I also need to preach to myself as well. These worship posts are for me too. Faith comes by hearing and hearing of the Word alone. Even if we have faith as small as a mustard seed, if we continue to hear the Word and learn to stand on the Word, our faith will grow and grow without our knowing.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin