Sunday, February 1, 2009

In this year of famine, we will have bread enough and plenty more

If you were to read the newspapers daily, it is only a matter of time before you get depressed. Every day, we encounter news and more news of the world financial crisis. Some people have even speculated that this current crisis mirrors that of the Great Depression in the 1930s.

However, take heart! Even though there may be famine in this land, in the house of our Abba Father, there is bread enough and to spare. Our Father's house has more than enough.

Da and I had arranged to meet my mother, my brother (LG) and LG's girlfriend (ZT) for lunch at one of our favourite sunday haunts - Katong Shopping Centre located at Mountbatten Road. Today, Da ordered a grilled fish from the western food stall, I ordered a mini pot with noodles in black sauce and the rest of the them ordered chicken rice. A sumptious meal, as always!

After lunch, Da and I proceeded to church. We arrived early for the 2.30 pm service. As Da's cousin (MT) was at his cousin's baby's 1-month party and would be arriving separately from Punggol, MT told us not to save a seat for him and that he would meet up with us after church.

It was an awesome church service and full of the anointing of Jesus Christ! I feel blessed that in these difficult economic times, I do not have to worry because my Abba Father will take care of me and ensure that I have more than enough in every area of my life.

After church, MT, Da and I met up at Hans' cafe for our tea-break.

MT ordered a slice of coffee cake. Da decided to have a sausage roll and a rum ball. I settled for a slice of apple crumble.

As always, we had a wonderful time of fellowship with MT. He has a great sense of humour and he has plenty of stories to tell us about his life in Brisbane, Australia (where he lives). MT is currently in Singapore for a vacation.

All too soon, it was time to part ways. MT had to attend a Chinese New Year dinner with his family. As my mother is "home alone" tonight, Da and I decided to buy a chicken pie from Don's Pie and bring it over to my mother's home for dinner. The pie was piping hot when we bought it. As such, when I tried to slice the pie, I had some difficulty doing so and each slice ended up being rather "mushy". Not to worry - it was delicious nonetheless!

As is typical whenever we visit my mother, after dinner, she started giving us snacks to eat. Gosh! We had not even disgested our slice of chicken pie yet!

MF's parents had given my mother a bottle of vegetarian pineapple tarts.

My mother also sliced a vegetarian kueh lapis that MF's parents gave her. As there was no butter used to make the kueh lapis, you do not get the "jelak"** feeling that you sometimes get when eating non-vegetarian kueh lapis. Even LG's Jack Russell Terrier (Boy-Boy) asked to eat some of the kueh lapis.

(** I do not know the English translation for "jelak". It is the feeling you get when you have eaten too much of something that is very rich and oily.)

We sampled some kueh bangkit that was given to my mother by one of her customers. This particular kueh bangkit was made using green beans.

Da and I had also bought a box of 6 mini-pancakes from Jolli Pancake. The box that we bought contained 3 peanut pancakes and 3 red bean pancakes. Boy-Boy could not resist the peanut pancake. He loves anything that is crunchy!

After such a heavy meal, we decided to enjoy a hot cup of Chinese tea each.

Thank You, Abba Father, that in this year of famine, we will have bread enough and plenty more.


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin