Thursday, August 14, 2008

Huff & puff

I have been wondering lately whether I have developed a water retention problem. My metabolic rate seems to have slowed down lately (not that it was high to begin with). Furthermore, I feel bloated even when I have not drunk any water nor eaten any food. Whilst I do not think that I have increased my food intake recently (and in fact, I have cut down on double-chocolate muffins ever since my “muffin-suppliers” left), I seem to have gained some weight. Furthermore, I have seen some pimples appearing on my face in the past few days (something that has not happened for some time). To make things worse, my face seems to be more puffy nowadays, I seem to have developed sinus-like problem (although I am not sure whether this is a flu virus that has to date not gone away since the time I came down with flu when I was caught in a very heavy rain in Bangkok in May 2008), my eyes have been extremely dry and itchy lately, I have had on and off headache recently (which could, of course, be due to the fact that I have been terribly pissed at something this week) and my eczema seems to have recurred. As I understand it, all these are classic symptoms of water retention.

Could this problem have been caused by:-
(a) insufficient intake of fluid;
(b) excess intake of salt; or
(c) allergic reaction to certain types of food?

I am not sure. Analysing the possible causes above:-
(a) I know for a fact that I do not drink enough water a day. I doubt that I meet the recommended minimum of 8 glasses! Isn’t it ironic that water retention can be caused by insufficient intake of fluid and not excessive intake of fluid?
(b) I do not favour food that is very salt nor very sweet. Having said this, I think that it is unavoidable that if you do not eat homecooked food, food that is sold commercially tends to have high levels of monosodium glutamate (or “MSG” for short).
(c) I am not aware that I am allergic to any type of food. However, as my family as a history of eczema, I do try to avoid prawns. My eczema is usually triggered by stress but there is no necessity to take chances, is there?

I have been told that I need to drink more water to fool my body into thinking that I have too much water and hence, there is no necessity to retain any water. This is an interesting theory. I tried to drink more water today and I ended up feeling more bloated. I do not know whether the feeling of bloatedness was due to water retention or excessive drinking!

On the topic of food, it seems that if you are suffering from a water retention problem, it would be advisable to avoid caffeine, alcohol, salt, fried food, dairy products, white sugar, white flour, chocolate, olives, pickles and soy sauce as these have been observed to worse the water retention problem. Gasp! How can we avoid salt and soy sauce unless we cook our own meals? Food that we buy commercially usually tends to have salt and/or soy sauce added.

Of course, the age-old cure to water retention (and just about every other health problem, it seems) is.... you guessed it correctly. Exercise! Gosh, I am the last person on earth who would welcome this “dirty” word with open arms. My friends, wouldn’t liposuction be easier and faster? sigh.... I guess when one is desperate, one would resort to even... ugh... exercising. For a start, Da and I have been going to the track that is located next to the MRT station near our home and walking around it 6 times a night. Da estimated the distance (albeit with good-natured grumbling) and said that 6 rounds would be about 2.4 kilometres. The track surrounds a football field and a small basketball court.

We started our after-dinner walk on 12 August 2008. I have since noticed that the people who live around our area tend to stick to schedule. We meet the same people at the same time each night, either walking, jogging or running around the track. In fact, we also meet the same dog-owners taking their dogs for a walk around the same time. I can point out a young man wearing a sleeveless tank-top with the word “NAVY” emblazoned at the back and running around the track each night. I can also recognise an elderly couple (the wife is Chinese and the husband is Caucasian) taking a stroll around the track. I have not yet noticed whether it is the same group of boys who play basketball at 10+ pm each night but perhaps in time, I may be able to recognise them.

Supporters of exercise would tell you that exercise enhances or maintains our physical fitness and overall health, strengthens our muscles and our cardiovascular system, aids in weight loss, boosts our immune system and helps prevent heart diseases, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and obesity, improves our mental health and even helps prevent depression (although I have to say that it is actually quite depressing knowing that I have only walked 2 rounds around the track and I have 4 more rounds to go!).

As I understand it, my fellow Ds (ie. LSD, BD and SPD) exercise regularly. Good for you, kiddos! You have to remind me to 加油 when it comes to exercise because this is one aspect of my life that I tend to procrastinate.

So far so good when it comes to our nightly walks around the track. I have now even managed to perspire during the walk! On the first night that we walked, I did not perspire at all.

As you know, exercise is only 1 part of the equation. In addition to exercise, one should also maintain a good diet. Highly recommended, of course, would be sandwiches from Hans (where else?) I personally prefer the sandwiches sold at Hans (as compared to some of those specialty sandwich shops) because the portion is more manageable and you do not end up feeling overly full. You even have a choice of white bread or wholemeal bread, toasted or not toasted.

A healthy diet involves eating appropriate amounts from all of the food groups (proteins, carbohydrates, fats, fiber, vitamins and minerals) and drinking enough water (at least 8 glasses a day, remember?). Some people have said that it is more beneficial to have 6 smaller meals a day instead of 3 full main meals a day. What do you think?

In addition to maintaining a healthy diet, it is believed that for certain types of ailment, there are certain dietary and behavioural tips that can help tackle the problem. For example:-

(1) CONSTIPATION => drink plenty of fluids (but avoid caffeine), increase the intake of high fiber foods (eg. fresh fruits and vegetable, cooked whole-grain cereals with added bran and other foods containing whole grains such as oat bran and rye, barley, bran muffins, legumes, cooked prunes and prune juice), drink hot water or tea, exercise daily (eg. ½ hour walk after meals) and eat regularly.

(2) WATER RETENTION / EXCESSIVE SALT => stay away from the salt shaker, omit salt from recipes and food preparation, cook without salt or with only small amounts of added salt, flavoring foods with herbs, spices, and lemon juice, rinsing canned vegetables and fish, seasoning or marinating meat, poultry, and fish ahead of time with onion, garlic and herbs before cooking, using lower sodium products, saving chicken broth from a chicken you cook at home rather than buying a canned, powdered or cube broth.

1 comment:

wesirelander said...

Just go & see a doctor and don't second guess whats wrong with you, lah! U want me to keep nagging at U?

Exercise more..u'll feel healthier. Diet is one thing, regular exercise is another thing.

(Talk like as if I am the expert here...haha)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin