Saturday, April 18, 2009

House visits

Da and I made two house visits today. We went to the home of our friend, NN (who lives in Tampines) during tea time and for dinner, we accompanied FIL and MIL to the home of Da's sister (who lives in Punggol).

As Da had to work today, I busied myself this morning with one of my favourite hobbies - baking! Out of our oven today came muffins, bread and biscuits.

Before I left the house to fetch Da from the nearby MRT station after his work, I gave some goodies to the three handsome young boys who live opposite Da and I on the same floor in our apartment block. In case you are wondering, the doggie cookies that you see in the photograph below are malt cookies and the cookies do not contain sugar nor egg. The sweetness in the cookies is derived from the chocolate chip that you see on the nose of the doggie as well as chocolate chips embedded inside the cookies.

(Goodies for three handsome young boys)

For our lunch, we decided to eat at our favourite coffee shop located at Jalan Tua Kong. Today, Da ordered the chicken sambal fried rice while I ordered Hong Kong mee fried with bee hoon. The stallholder informed me that she had run out of Hong Kong mee and she substituted it with soba noodles. Delicious!

After lunch, off we went to NN's home in Tampines. En route, we made a wrong turn as we are not familiar with Tampines area. Fortunately, we managed to locate his home.

NN is married to SF and they have an adorable 15-month-old daughter, IL. IL has the most beautiful eyes that I have ever seen. She also has a very unique way of giving you a "flying kiss" - she will touch her nose with one finger before her entire palm is stretch towards you. She has recently learned to walk and is unstoppable. She does not want to sit still and is curious about everything around her. I had the opportunity to hold her in my lap several times. Each time she turned towards me and looked at me, my heart melted. Such a sweetie pie!

All too soon, dinner-time approached. As Da and I had to fetch FIL and MIL to go to Da's sister's home for dinner, we bade goodbye to NN and his family and left.

Da's sister, GN lives with her family in Punggol. We brought some of the muffins, bread and biscuits baked by me to their home. When we arrived at GN's home with FIL and MIL, dinner preparations were almost complete. GN's daughter, MT and I took the opportunity to have some "girl-to-girl" chat before we were summoned to the dinner table.

There was a sumptuous spread for dinner. Other than steamed crabs, dinner also comprised lady's finger (fried with dried prawns), ayam pontek (chicken stew, cooked Nonya style), stir-fried puay leng (a type of green leafy vegetable), chilli sting ray and gong gong. I am not certain what is the English name for "gong gong" but it is a type of shellfish. We were given a choice of steamed white rice or steamed multi-grain brown rice. I chose the latter type of rice.

I was yawning in the car on the way home. However, by the time I took a shower, I had perked up. Chelsea Football Club has a FA Cup soccer match against Arsenal Football Club to be shown on television around midnight. I hope that the Gunners silence the Blues.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can i learn baking from you. Please keep me inform when you intend to do baking the next time.

Hamtaro

Anonymous said...

the walnut biscuits are out of this world!!!!! please take orders for christmas

thanks dear foodie

gp

Blog Widget by LinkWithin