Monday, January 12, 2009

Of vegetables and letting go

Last week, my friend (Hamtaro) and I arranged to meet for lunch today.

As Hamtaro is a lady of leisure with two wonderful school-going and independent sons (Eddie and Eddy), her mondays are usually available to engage in "tai-tai" activities such as meeting up with friends. The dear girl always obliges by meeting me for lunch near my office.

As per our usual arrangement, we were supposed to meet at Hans cafe for lunch. This morning, she sent me a text message to ask whether I know of any eating establishment where we can order a drink but bring our own food. Curious but deciding to let myself be surprised by whatever goodies she will be bringing for our lunch, I suggested Amoy Street Food Centre (which is quite near my office).

When we met up at the bus stop outside my office building, we changed our destination to Lau Pat Sat hawker centre which is nearer.

As we sat down, Hamtaro (who is a vegetarian and a Buddhist) brought out 2 trays of vegetarian nasi lemak (photograph above). It was delicious and best of all, the dishes did not contain gluten (which I do not like). Hamtaro had bought the lunch from a cafe at Fortune Centre which sells vegetarian food. Each lunch set costs S$4.

As it has been some time since we met, Hamtaro and I had a wonderful time catching up and having lively discussions on various issues in life. Two things that we discussed were quite poignant:-

(a) In life, it is important to learn to "let go". I agree with Hamtaro that we should not put other people's "rubbish" in our pockets. If we keep the resentment towards another person (perhaps because of wrongdoing that the other person has done to us), the only person who will suffer is ourself. The perpetrator will continue to sleep soundly at night without any care or concern for us.

(b) When we are impacted by the Word (whether it be from the Bible, Buddhist teaching, etc), the evil one always comes and tries to take away the Word, hoping that the cares and trials of life will distract our attention and turn us away from the One above. We have to hold onto the Word and have faith. Reject such false symptoms and persecutions.

As we ended our lunch, I passed to Hamtaro a bag of some vegetarian goodies that I bought for her family from a vegetarian restaurant in Muar on 1 January 2009. Enjoy the snacks, Eddie and Eddy!

Hamtaro surprised me with a Team Singapore polo shirt. I was eyeing the polo shirt when I last met her and saw her wearing it. The dear girl managed to find an extra polo shirt and she gave it to me. Thanks so much, my friend!

The blessings did not end there. Hamtaro also passed to me another paper bag. When I looked inside, I saw two items, both of which are gifts from Eddie and Eddy. The boys had given me a kiwi key chain.

The boys had also given me a box of chocolates. Thanks, guys! Hey, wait a minute... This is not an elaborate ploy to fatten me up so that your mommy can be slimmer than me, is it? *grin*

All the best for your studies this year, Eddie and Eddy! Remember, so long as you have tried your best, do not worry about the outcome. The battle is for the One above.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this entry

Blog Widget by LinkWithin