Friday, January 2, 2009

Makan escapade - Day 3 (2 January 2009)

Day 3 of the gastronomical feast started with a dim sum at a road-side stall located along Jalan Perisa, near where Uncle J and Aunt J live. It was the dim sum at this stall that converted my brother into a bittergourd-eater.

Although the name of the dim sum place is called "Phang Key Restaurant", it was actually a road-side stall instead of one in a building premises.

Other than their bittergourd, other family favourites at this stall include their char siew pau, braised chicken feet, pork ribs, etc.

There is also a stall in the same vicinity selling desserts. We ordered a few bowls of "bubur cha cha" to share. It was not overly sweet. Delicious!

The stallholder who sells desserts also sells other snacks such as yam cake, fried bee hoon, etc. The stallholder informed us that he originated from Penang but has been operating this stall in Kuala Lumpur for more than 30 years. Some of his children live in Singapore. The helpers at his stall are his relatives. The grandson of the stallholder gamely agreed to take a photograph with the food (actually, his grandfather instructed him to pose for my camera, so I guess he did not have much of a choice).

After a sumptuous breakfast, we proceeded to Mid Valley Megamall for some shopping.

Some of my relatives went on a shoe craze at Bata Shoe Shop and bought shoes and sandals.

Tea time! My cousin HL and I bought some egg tarts from a stall near the Jusco Supermarket.

From the same stall, we also purchased some chicken floss pastries.

Everyone adjourned to Kim Gary Restaurant for tea time.

This restaurant has Hong Kong origins and they are famous for their thick toast and caffeinated drinks. I ordered a cup of "yin yang", which is a mixture of coffee and tea.

For dinner, we went to Choong Kee Kampar Claypot Rice restaurant.

My Uncle T had told me earlier that the claypot chicken rice from this restaurant is delicious. I agree with him!

We also ordered a plate of green leafy vegetables in oyster sauce.

After dinner, it was a cousins' night out! My cousins (HL, PY and PW) and I went to Bangsar Village, a hip place near the home of Uncle J and Aunt J. It is the equivalent of Singapore's Holland Village.

We decided to hang out at 2 places. First up, Alexis Bistro and Wine Bar, which is reputed to sell mouth-watering desserts. (Do not worry, Aunt J! We patronised the Bistro and not the Wine Bar.)

We ordered a peach and banana crumble, which was served warm.

We also ordered a slice of tiramisu cake. The red patch that you see in the photograph below is some kind of raspberry sauce, I think (is this correct, cousins?). I ate the cake "neat" (that is, without the sauce).

As we had decided to have part 2 at a mamak coffeeshop (that is, an Indian Muslim coffeeshop), we did not order any drinks at Alexis Bistro and Wine Bar.

At the mamak coffeeshop, we ordered an iced neslo (that is, nescafe mixed with milo) and an iced mango lassi. Both drinks were extremely sweet and after we kept adding ice and more ice to the drinks, we ended up with the equivalent of 3 to 4 drinks! It was certainly worth it.

Oops... Aunt J called to check on us gals. As it was way past midnight, we went back to Uncle J's and Aunt J's home where we were greeted with more food! Aunt J had requested a friend to order from Johor Bahru mini char siew pau that cost RM0.20 each and she steamed the pau for everyone to enjoy.

As is typical when my relatives meet up, some of them will play mahjong overnight. Yawn! I crawled into bed sleepily. I decided to catch some sleep instead as the next day will bring forth more eating and shopping and I will need my strength to walk-walk-walk around the malls!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That tiramisu looks exceptional! Was it as good as it looks?
Susan H.

Anonymous said...

Was about to have my sandwich for lunch which is considered yummy by aussie standards when ur email came in. had to throw my sandwich out n get some asian food becos of u!!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your messages, even if I don't always make a comment. It's a great way to stay in touch. I am doing well, have some type of cold or allergies or something, but managing okay. Christmas was nice, sort of sad of course, but we all got through okay. It came and went so fast though, as it always seems to do now that I am an adult.

We are all doing okay and luckily 2009 so far has gotten off to a good start. I hope it's the same for you!!

Hope all is well, and keep in touch!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin