Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want

Have you ever noticed that in life, it never seems enough? How did the phrase "The grass is greener on the other side" come about?

There is a Chinese phrase "Zhi Zu" (LSD - quick, please let me know the words in Chinese character). If only we are all more like this.



Society creates new wants. When we should be satisfied with our life, we always seem to want more. When we have in our possession a walkman, we want an ipod. When we own an apartment, we want a landed property.

If we always aim for more and better things, we can never be happy with our lot in life. We have much to be thankful for. We live in a safe country and we have friends and loved ones around us. We have health and we have food to eat. We have a roof over our head and plenty of laughter to go around. If, however, we keep looking towards having more and more, we will only end up bitter and disgruntled. Have you ever noticed that in some of the more "backward" suburbs in some countries, the people are happy and contented even though they seem to have less than us?

It is not wrong to have ambition in life. However, there comes a point in time when we have to be thankful for the blessings in our life.

I read in the newspapers about a 61-year old transvestite who was murdered, allegedly by his lover who is less than 1/2 his age. There is a related article about how transvestites cope with growing old. I have often wondered about people who are unable to come to terms with what they are (eg. born a male) and want to "go against nature" and cross over to the other side (ie. become a female). I am not in favour of this phenomenon but I do not intend to judge the person who is caught in this dilemma. I am acquainted with such persons and I can say that they are generally nice people. They are no different from you and me, with wants, needs and goals in life, just like everyone else. The difference is that they feel like a stranger in their own body. However, do you know that the body that we have is just a shell and it is our spirit inside that is the true us? That is why when we die, our spirit goes up to heaven and joins our Lord and Saviour, who waits for us.

Jesus is all we need. When we have Jesus, everything else pales in comparison. He is the perfect one in the midst of our imperfections. He is the lion, the man, the eagle and the ox => He represents all the facets of our life. When we abide in the shadow of the Almighty, we have protection beyond all comprehension.



When you look in the mirror each morning, what do you see? Do you see a person who is unhappy with his/her life? Or do you see the glory of the Lord in your reflection?

My friend, we are made in the image of God. The power that God has given us is against the devil, and not people. Learn to "let go" and to live a blessed life. It is there, right in front of us, but can we see it? Or are our eyes blinded by the pursuits of life?

My soul finds rest, in you my Jesus. A hiding place, amid the storm. In pastures green, you lead me down to rest. By waters still, I shall abide. By waters still, I will abide. http://www.imeem.com/people/CSLu9-/music/bqNl7nmB/new_creation_church_my_rest/

2 comments:

wesirelander said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wesirelander said...

The chinese word is "知足" ...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin