Friday, June 20, 2008

A day of reflection

Have you ever wondered whether it is true that if someone strikes you on one cheek, you should turn the other cheek for him to strike, instead of retaliating?

Is there such a thing as retribution?

If the Lord Jesus died for our sins and by His death, sin is no longer imputed to us and we have eternal forgiveness, how can it be right that someone can get away with doing wrong to us again and again? It is so unfair and it is very difficult to reconcile this with the concept of forgiveness. Oh sure, the wrongdoer is forgiven eternally, but what about the victim? How can it be right that the victim has to suffer this?

What do we do in situations like this? It can occur anywhere - in the workplace, amongst relatives, anywhere. I have often reflected on this but sad to say, I have not been able to come to terms with this.

I am not saying that I am unwilling to help others. I am more than willing but sometimes I sit back and wonder what I am doing. If I cover a colleague for an urgent matter while the colleague is away, is it right that the file gets dumped on me permanently? Is it right for the colleague to coincidentally/conveniently go on medical leave/urgent leave (God knows what other leave) at the crucial time and for the file to explode in my face? Perhaps, if it happened only once, we should be more graceful and be the Good Neighbour. But when it happens again and again, where does this leave us? Do we stand back, look like the fool and take this lying down again and again? Our human nature says, "No! Fight back! Retaliate!" But how do we reconcile this with the concept of a forgiving spirit and letting our heart be established by grace?

Abba Father, I am amazed how You always know what I am going through or what I am going to go through for the day, and You speak to me in subtle ways. I wish to learn to hear Your voice so that I can walk more in the fullness of Your grace and learn to live a "let go" life.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin